Friday, March 9

Eczema Issues

So many of you are asking what I've been doing with James, that I'll just post about it instead of making a comment. As far as James' laundry goes, I used Ivory Snow from day one with all of his stuff. Everything got washed in it - and I never used fabric softener in his clothes. I do use fabric softener in our clothes, however, if it is contact dermatitis then it wouldn't make sense that it was a reaction to fabric softener, because our clothes almost never touch his ENTIRE body. In fact, the parts of him that do touch us are the parts with the least eczema. That is why I'm now going to use this Tide Free for Sensitive Skin to see if it a reaction to the Ivory Snow.

There also does not seem to be any correlation between the eczema and using formula/rice cereal. I used some formula back in January, and then stopped using it - thinking it may be a reaction. However, his eczema has some of it's worst flare-ups several weeks after I had quit using formula. I also didn't start the cereal until this week, so it can't be the cereal either. (On a side note, my brother and I both got cow's milk and solids from two months of age and we both have no allergies - the same goes for my husband).

I do LOVE dairy products though. I drink a lot of milk, and eat a lot of dairy. I have NO idea how to stop consuming it! The health nurse recommended to stop eating chocolate, so that will be my first try. If that shows no improvement, then I may have to quit the dairy. But does it make sense that he could have formula, but not handle dairy in MY diet?

Anyway, that's where we are at. I'm trying everything I possibly can - even according to the health nurse, so that's the best I can do, right? Hopefully we will find a solution. My next big issue is why he is now eating every 2-3 hours day and night! It's been going on for almost 2 weeks now. Man, being a mom is hard work.

10 comments :

Stacey said...

Sorry if I came across too harsh on my last comment. Exzema can be sooo frustrating. Sometimes I find something that works for me for a while (as in creams and lotions) and then I have a major flare up again.

It is reassuring to know that most babies grow out of it. I was one of the unlucky ones. And just in case you are wondering, my mom breastfeed me until at least five months, exclusively, so there is no connection there for me either!

On another note, I am also a milk and dairy lover. I have heard the recommendation to cut it out of my diet too, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Besides, I'm pregnant, and I need all that calcium, and also the vitamin D! Maybe once this baby is born I'll have to try it. I'd give almost anything for nice skin.

You are a great mommy, and you know better than any of us opinionated bloggers what is best for him! Hope the Tide thing works for you.

Anonymous said...

Stacey - I took no offense at all to your comment. I appreciate your insight. It's often hard to know what to do, because so many sources have so many different opinions! James seems to love the cereal, and doesn't seem to be having any trouble disgesting it - so for now I'm sticking with it. I may still cut out the formula though, and just tough it out and nurse him every couple of hours.

-Me- said...

I also hope that I didn't sound rude in any way...I figured you probably knew about Ivory Snow, and then after I wrote it I thought, "SOme baby's might not agree with it either" so I apologize too if I in any way made you feel bad...:-( I'm sure you know what is best for your lil man, and I know you will find the solution eventually!!!!

Dianna said...

Heather I went thru THE SAME thing with Amber. To make a long story short I'll skip all the details but the bottom line was.. I stopped breastfeeding her at nine months most of her skin issues went away but not all. After tests were done the pediatrician said no cows milk anymore. Amber is 1 year and 4 months already and I had to start giving her formula. Imagine giving her formula for infants to a year and then some child. But no, she doesn't drink cows milk anymore and it bye bye rest of the problems. Just something you can think about if you haven't yet. Hope I was of help! Keep me posted!
By the way what an adorable boy!

Dianna said...

By the way, my health nurse recommended the same thing to me no chocolate. I don't eat much chocolate and it still flared up but I too also love dairy and I was also told to stop eating dairy product. I cut that out of my diet. No change. Thought I'll let you know.

Erica H said...

Hey Heather, sounds like you're doing a fantastic job trying to keep your little guy healthy and happy! I'm actually considering starting Annika on rice cereal in a couple of weeks (when she turns 3 months). How many times a day do you give them cereal? Is it only once? Hope James' Eczema starts to dwindle!

Stacey said...

I just thought of another thing this morning that might help. When I get really itchy, I take a bath with baking soda in the water. Like 1/4-1/2 cup or so. I also do this for Rowan sometimes. He got a patch of exzema under his arm a while ago, and it seems to have totally cleared up now. It's a cheap thing to try anyway!

Nin said...

Hey Heather!!
I'm always so blessed to hear how you handle your little hickups with James. I think you're doing a GREAT job!!!! I don't know anything about exzema, I've never known anyone who has it, poor little James, I hope it clears up soon.
It's so easy to fall into the trap of being a people pleaser when you're a new mom, just going with the flow, doing what everyone says, it's almost like a brainwashing telling us that we don't actually know anything about our own children, when in reality, we know them better than anyone! I'm so encouraged to see you're not falling into that trap. I believe you've found a beautiful balance between listening to what everyone else says, and listening to the mother heart that God created you with. You're amazing!!! It's such a breath of fresh air to hear how you have been parenting James, he is such a lucky little guy. Glad to hear he's fond of the cereal! Hopefully it's giving you a bit more sleep. It's important that James's mommy is well rested and refreshed.

Brandi said...

Ugh! Why can't all babies skin just be smooth and soft?! Kalia's skin was so bad for a while in some spots that it looked like sores. When she was about 4 months she started to have problems and I think that was around the time I had been using the unscented, non chemical bounce sheets in my dryer, which you'd think would be harmless. When I stopped a few months later after trying a bunch of things, (at least I think that's what did it) her skin problems went away. Also, the health nurse suggested Aveno baby lotion and bath milk which made a HUGE difference!

Anonymous said...

you have mentioned before that you have a cat...could your son possibly be allergic to it if you have it in the house?

"Pet dander - Baby Allergy
If your baby is allergic to a pet, the only foolproof solution is to give the animal away. That's not an easy decision to make, of course, and, understandably, you'll want to consider it only as a last resort.

To keep the dander down, wash your pet frequently. (You can find shampoos that reduce dander in the pet store.) Also keep your pet off the furniture and out of your baby's room."