Saturday, December 16

I Think I Can, I Think I Can...

... I think I can do it! I believe I've come over the greatest of the hormonal hurdles, and finally this weekend I felt like things were beginning to look a lot brighter.
We went on a trip to the city yesterday, leaving right after James ate around 10:30am. Ryan went to the Chiropractor - so James and I stayed in the car, although James didn't like it when the car stopped. I had to rock his carseat for him. Then we went to an appointment with the Dr. for James and I. He is doing just great! In two weeks he has gained over a pound, putting him at 9lbs 4ozs. I definately thought he was feeling heavier! His health is good, and he is strong. He is also slightly above average in length. Don't know where he got height from - certainly not from his daddy or me. Anyway, I'm also doing well. I asked the Dr. all kinds of things, and it looks like I am, indeed, totally normal and healthy. So that gave me a big boost of confidence. After the appointment we headed to the mall, where I fed James in the truck in the parking lot. Then we went in and daddy took James around in his stroller while I shopped. It was fun! I got all my little shopping things done, which felt great. And then, it was back home through a little bit of a blizzard - just in time for James to eat again.
Last night was good too. He ate at 9:30 I think, got a bath, and then slept until 3:30am! Wow! So I fed him, and then we slept until 8:30am! Can you believe that? He really has fallen into a schedule of eating and then falling asleep. He would usually stay awake for awhile, but these last two days he just wants to sleep. I am, of course, worried as to why he is suddenly sleeping so much. Hahaha! Just when I want him to do something and he does it, then I worry about why he is doing it! Anyway, it was nice to get more sleep last night, as we have a family gathering today and tomorrow. Thankfully both are here at home, at our parent's places. So, we don't have to drive far, and we can be comfortable. Then it's just nine days until we leave for Hawaii. I'm slowly getting more excited for it - and trying not to be too stressed. All I have to do is keep PRAYING, trusting God, trusting myself and then thinking "I think I can, I think I can..."

James' first tub bath!

All clean and cozy.

19 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to read that you are feeling more encouraged. I've been thinking and praying for you lots. You're going through the biggest change of your life right now and you're only normal to have lots of mixed emotions. I miss you and hope to see you and James on tuesday if you are feeling up to it.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I am glad we got to talk today.
I love the face cloth covering up James' certain parts. :0) Very cute.

Warren & Liane Thiessen said...

Hey, very exciting that you are doing better!

Liane

Jobina said...

That bath picture is so cute! He's beautiful! I'm so glad that your trip to the city went well. We think you can, we think you can...

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! I am so glad to hear everything is going better... My hormones calmed down pretty quickly and since they have leveled off I have been feeling great. I can't wait until Evan's cord falls off so we can do a real bath too!! James is soooo cute. Have a wonderful rest of the weekend.

Anonymous said...

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
I'm so happy for the victory you've experience the last 2 days Heather. God is good! You're becoming a pro already! Congrats!

Is it okay if I put your link on my blog, so I don't have to keep going through Jeremy's to get to yours?

Let me know when you get a second. I'm just not sure what blog etiquette is on that type of thing since I'm relatively new to blogging so I figured I'd ask.

I know we don't know eachother, so it might seem strange that I want to read your blog. It's just since I'm so close to some of your same experiences, it's nice to not feel so alone in dealing with them, you know? Thanks and congrats on the incredible amount of sleep again!

Nicole

kelly ens said...

glad you're feeling better about things - amazing how a doctor can put you at ease, eh? :)

-Me- said...

Hey Heather! I'm going to try this again: The last time I responded to your blog (the one prior to this!) it for some reason didn't post, and I lost everything I had written...then I had no time to rewrite it, and by the time I did, other people had said what I was going to!! Anyways, I'm so glad to hear that you are starting to feel a little bit better! I think that all of us have been there....you might not feel normal, but I think (maybe this is crazy) that if you didn't feel a little bit of a "hormonal hurdle" as you called it, THEN you wouldn't be normal! You sound like an amazing mom, and I remember feeling equally overwhelmed when Taylor arrived..the worries about where to nurse (I to was a nurser with the shirt almost all the way up, etc.) and I also had pain and bleeding for the first 3 months....putting cushions underneath of me on my rocking chair seemed to help a little bit! And I don't know how good they are, or if they work, because they didn't have them when Taylor was a baby, but now they have those nursing canopy thingy's that snap at the neck....I'm sure you've probably seen them...I wonder if that would help??

I'm glad to hear that James is getting into a schedule! I think that over time they let us know what works best for them...sometimes it can be more difficult when we try to do for them whats best for us!!! (did that make sense?) Anyways, I'm just glad to hear that you are feelin' a bit better, and that you got a good night's rest...I think that can contribute to emotions a lot also..that lack of sleep can be alright for a bit, but after a while its just too much to not have a good nights rest!

I'm so jealous that you get to go to Hawaii....I hope that you really enjoy yourself! I'm sure James will!!! Take care of yourself, it sounds like you are doing a great job!!!

Drea said...

awe im glad things are going better.
hes so cute.
When Caleb was born we lived in a drafty farm house... with NO HEAT. It was starting to get cold... and well there were nights where our house would be 55 degrees if not colder... yea pretty bad. We were pretty poor back then (struggling through seminary and such)... so we couldnt afford heat. And well in order to bathe Caleb we'd have to put a space heater right beside the baby tub to keep him warm. It was insane.
He lived though and never got sick :-)
Now we can afford heat HAHA SO thankfully this baby wont have to go through what Caleb did in that area.

RLE said...

Good to hear that you are feeling better! The first month is a blur of hormaones and new things, I think it would be abnormal too if all was smooth sailing.
Anyhow - I am with Nicole about the blog etiquette, and the common experiences, so wanting to keep up with youa nd your life.
As for James sleeping more - it could be a growth spurt. If all of a sudden he wants to eat constantly, you will know.

The Keowns said...

i have checked out your blog since my sister (Jamie) told me you had a baby the day before her. I have to say I spent some time reading all your blog and it made me laugh and it made me cry.
You are a very true and honest person and may God bless you and your family.

Jamie said...

Sounds like a good day! I can remember many times feeding Micah in the car. It's at least somewhat private when you're out and about. I even recall feeding him in a bathroom stall once or twice when I couldn't find anywhere else to go!
That's great that James is doing longer stretches at night! It makes the days so much easier when the nights go well! Keziah is sleeping pretty good stretches at night (5-6 hours) but doesn't always want to sleep after. Last night I was up with her for an hour and a half and my emotions got the better of me after about 45 minutes and we both sat on the couch crying together :( Thankfully Erik got up and relieved me at that point and then I was able to get some sleep. Life always looks better in the morning and I don't know why it felt like such a big deal at the time :)
Anyway, glad to hear you're doing well. James looks SO cute in the bathtub!

Wenona said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and that everything is "normal". Keep it up super mom!!

Becky said...

One word:

Hurrah!f

Becky said...

LOL. How did that f get there? It was fart of the word verification. I hate that thing. It took me three tries this time. I think I have some kind of word verification disability.

Becky said...

Oh man. I must be tired. Part. Not fart.

Trail Rider said...

I remmeber the first time i nursed. it sounded exactly the same. it will get better and easier.

-Me- said...

Happy 4 week birthday James!!!!

Ang said...

Yep, he's got the Tommy muscles. The reason they shocked me so much was because I had Emily to compare him too. Trust me, not all babies are born with those pipes. Simon has sweet little baby arms. And premature balding evidently...sigh...
Emily was always tall on those charts too if you can believe that! I always thought you were on the above average height side Heath...?