Monday, August 25

Emotions

Today brings with it a barage of different emotions. First of all, today was the due date of the baby we lost in January. It was never clear whether it had actually been a twin pregnancy, but I suspect that it was - so I try to imagine what today would have been like if I had been holding a baby in each arm.

But the emotions of today don't stop there. Today was also the day that I was going to blog about our new baby. We've been expecting since June, and it's been so hard for me to keep it a secret until now! I couldn't wait to blog about it, because I knew that a few other bloggers had also recently posted pregnancy announcements. However, my dream of the pregnancy announcement will have to wait.

Last week I started to have some signs that things were not going well. I felt optimistic though, because I've had very strong pregnancy symptoms throughout this pregnancy - even right now! On Friday I had Ryan take me into the hospital to get checked, because I just wanted peace of mind. The Dr. ordered an ultrasound, which was scheduled for today at 1:45pm.

I actually thought we would be getting good news today, and that we would get to see our little baby at 10 weeks pregnant. The news was not good though. This time there was actually no baby present, just an empty womb at the right size for 10 weeks. But no baby.

My heart is hurting, as I'm sure you can imagine. All prayers are welcome as I go in tomorrow morning for a D & C. I know God knows what is going on... but this is hard.

For those few weeks--
I had you to myself
And that seems too short a time
to be changed so profoundly.

In those few weeks--
I came to know you
and to love you.
You came to trust me with your life.
Oh, what a life I had planned for you!

Just those few weeks--
When I lost you.
I lost a lifetime of hopes,
plans, dreams, and aspirations...
A slice of my future simply vanished overnight.

Just those few weeks--
It wasn't enough time to convince others
how special and important you were.
How odd, a truly unique person has recently died
and no one is mourning the passing.

Just a mere few weeks--
And no "normal" person would cry all night
over a tiny, unfinished baby,
or get depressed and withdrawn day after endless day.
No one would, so why am I?

You were just those few weeks my little one
you darted in and out of my life too quickly.
But it seems that's all the time you needed
to make my life so much richer
and give me a small glimpse of eternity.

Poem Copyright 1984 by Susan Erling Martinez

26 comments :

Anonymous said...

Condolences to you, Heather. I'm so very sorry.

Becky said...

Awe Heather. I'm so sorry. This must hurt so badly. I'm praying that you will feel the tender arms of Jesus holding you and your family in a very real way... And especially that you will find comfort in the knowledge that He is holding the little ones you've loved and lost in those same ever-faithful arms. Hugs to you sweetie.

Domestic Bloggess said...

Oh Heather, my heart goes out to you in this inconceivably difficult time. Praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I'm so, so sorry. This is such a hard time for you. But I will pray. And God is there -- in the middle of all of this sadness; he is there and he has not forgotten you. Take care.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I ache to not be there with you right now. I miss you more now too.

Christy said...

I am so sorry Heather. I will be praying for you.

maresi said...

Oh, my. I am so, so sorry that this pain is being renewed in you. I will absolutely pray for you and your family.

Gina said...

You are in my prayers....

Warren & Liane Thiessen said...

Heather I'm crying with you. Every time I hear of somebody having lost their baby, the emotions and feelings of my own miscarriages come back. I know how you feel and I will pray for you!

- Liane

Patricia said...

Oh Heather, I am so sorry. You and your family are in my thoughts & prayers.

Martha said...

I am so sorry for you and Ryan - it hurts so bad when your dreams die like that. I'll be praying for you that you'd feel Jesus holding you!

Jilly said...

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Niki said...

We don't really know each other...We met once or twice at Trev&Rebekah's. I've been reading your blog faithfully for months. My heart is aching for you...you'll me in my thoughts and prayers...

Sabrina said...

Thinking of you as you grieve your loss.

Rena said...

Heather - you don't know me, I found your blog through Erica's. I'm SO sorry to hear about your loss - that's a lot to take all in the same day...your attitude and trust in God is admirable. I'll be praying for you!

I also have a blog, if you want to take a peak email me (it's private) and I can send you an invite - drbruins@shaw.ca

Heather said...

my heart hurts for you. thinking of you as you go through all these emotions...

tracydueck said...

I am sure this will not be any different then all the other love you have been given in the other comments; but i wanted to send my love to you. i can't imagine how you are doing, i am so sorry that james' sibling is not making their appearance to the world. the strength and the sadness that you must accumulated during these times must be so overwhelming. i pray that you will find the strength to be a mother, wife and solely a women.

Erica H said...

Heather, I am so sorry. I guess we don't know WHY these things happen, but I am certainly praying that God will be giving you lots of peace in this time.

Lindsay said...

*hugs*

Heather, I am so sorry to hear this sad news... Keeping you close in my prayers.

Julie and Greg said...

Hi Heather. You don't know me but I found your blog through Rebekah's. We too were expecting twins last year and at 18 weeks lost one of them. I've been reading your blog for some time now (a lurker I suppose) and wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers. We have a blog if you would like to check us out. Its jgvanleeuwen.blogspot.com

Wenona said...

I am so sorry Heather. You are in my prayers...

Beth said...

I am so sorry. I know how difficult this is. I will be praying for you. The poem is amazing...makes me think of the little one I lost but Jesus found.

Schloops said...

Heather - I can't imagine the pain you're going through right now . . .

I will certainly be praying for you!

Thank God James has a mommy like you that cares for him so intensly. You may think you're incredibly blessed (and certainly, you are) but my dear, so is he!

Praying for wisdom for your drs and God's healing touch . . . and of course, His comfort and peace for you in this very sad and difficult time.

Amber said...

praying for you guys and thinking of the little babies that you have lost these last few years. sending lots of love your way...

Stacey said...

So sorry to hear this Heather. I pray that you will continue to find comfort in God and your family.

Brandi said...

oh Heather, I am so sorry for your loss. I will definitely be praying for you