Saturday, August 23

Never a Coincidence

I've come to believe in the last while that there is no such thing as a coincidence. God is ALWAYS working, and ALWAYS has a plan. From the smallest thing to the biggest thing, I believe that everything we experience in life has been created by God to teach us something, or show us something, or answer something... we just aren't always paying attention.

Early this week I was doing my devotions. I do one devotional out of a publication called InTouch magazine that I get in the mail (it's free, and you can sign up for it online here). Then I do the devotional that is right in my Sanctuary Bible. That particular day the passage that was spoken on was the same in both devotionals! Interesting. I didn't heed much attention to it, and sort of wrote it off as a coincidence because the passage didn't immediately speak to me. Later that night I had to get up for James, and couldn't get back to sleep. I started to talk to God, and He reminded me about the two matching passages from my devotionals in the evening.

"What does it mean God?" I asked. He replied, "Think about the most recent blog comments you have received."

I knew right away which comment He meant. I had received it a few days before, and had talked to God about it - but hadn't gotten a clear answer. Here was the comment, in regards to my post "The Shack: Is It Heresy?".

It really doesn't matter what you think, it matters what is. Simply put what Paul Young says next to scripture and you will see for yourself that the views he puts forward are not orthodox and are in fact heretical and that is why no one would publish the book. God the Father does not have any marks from the Crucifixion only the Son does. You are not free to reimage God in the image of a woman. He gave us a way to relate to him and it is as father.

God then revealed to me how the matching passages of Scripture answered my questions regarding this comment. This is what He told me:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning... The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:1 & 14

This passage from John was the one that came up twice in the devotionals. I believe that God is saying that He and Jesus are One. If God so chooses to bear the wounds from the cross, He can do so - because He bore our sins upon Himself, just as much as Jesus physically bore them. The Shack is a fictional book, and the author simply chose for the sake of the storyline to have God show his hands with the nail holes. I don't believe that in the context of the book, or by Biblical standards, that this is really heresy. When I think about how Jesus was God's Son, I also think about how everything that happens to MY son also effects ME. What hurts James, hurts me. This is not indifferent with God the Father and His Son Jesus.

Secondly, God reminded me of this passage from Genesis:

"So God created man in his OWN image, in the image of God he created him; MALE and FEMALE he created them." Genesis 1:27

If God created us in His own image - and we have been created as both male and female, why could God not decide to manifest Himself as a woman if He chose to? A female is just as much made in God's image as a male. Yes, in most cases God would portray Himself as a Father, and as male. However, The Shack is still a fictional book and the author chose to show that God portrayed Himself as a woman in a portion of it. There were reasons given in the book as to why God did that. Whether God would do that in real life? I don't know. But how many songs and stories have we heard where someone was told that God would be visiting them, and instead of "God" they had an old man, a beggar woman, or a child show up at their door. In stories like that it is always revealed that God was IN those other people. It goes to show that God can do ANYTHING, and be ANYONE. I believe that's why He asks us to "love one another". You just never know when you might be in the presence of God!

I hope that helps clear some things up, but also just wanted to share with you a really great God moment. Remember, nothing is a coincidence - but a God-incidence! Try to use those moments for the glory of God.

3 comments :

Trev and Rebekah said...

I love you and will miss you.

Schloops said...

Hi Heather - I don't mean to offend, but I have somewhat of a differing opinion . . .

If I may . . .

You are right in that God created everyone equal and can manifest Himself in all kinds of ways, male, female, whatever. That does not mean, however, that God IS a woman, simply because He's in a woman. Clearly, in His Word, He is not female. Like with the example you used of you and James - yes, as his mom, you are really close to him and feel his pain, but in reality you are not the same person. You're two separate beings. God is in His people via the Holy Spirit but we are not all little mini Gods. Essentially, that's what a theory like that evolves too - that eventually we too, can become our own mini gods . . .

I agree wholeheartedly with what the writer wrote in the email to you and whom you've quoted in your post. As with everything the only way you can discover the real truth is to look for the answers in the Bible - and the Bible is very clear on this.

I'd be quite leery about a book with an outrageous claim like that . . .

And that's me being my opinionated self again . . . Sigh . . .

This is not at all meant to slight you, in any way, I just feel quite passionately about this and then I go write a book in comment form on your blog . . .

Which is really none of my business, but I really wanted to comment on this because a few friends of mine are dealing with this too . . .

Anonymous said...

Sandie - I totally agree with you! I definately don't think that God is female! And I also don't believe we are all little "mini Gods". Most definately not. I reread my post, and I don't think that is what I was trying to say. Simply just saying that God could choose to APPEAR as a woman. I need to state again that The Shack makes no statements that the Bible says anything about this or that. It is a FICTIONAL story, and the author uses God in various forms to speak to a human man. It is not one of those books that makes claims that "God is" or anything like that. It is a story book, so to take anything from it as though it was Biblical truth would be silly. I agree that the Bible is truth, and that is why when I was given these verses from the Bible I felt that they explained God's person quite well. Thanks for your thoughts!