Saturday, February 3

Formula Attempt #1

Last night I finally got brave enough to try giving James some formula. I had a freebie can of Similac in the house, (which I had opened over a month ago when I first attempted a formula feeding, but chickened out), so I whipped up a bottle of that stuff. Ryan gave it to James at bedtime, but he didn't really like it very much and kept pushing the bottle away. I don't really blame him, that stuff tastes gross! (Yes, I tried it.) Anyway, he downed about an ounce of it before we gave up, and I nursed him before we put him down to bed for the night. Well, wouldn't you know - that one ounce of formula put him to sleep from 9:00pm to 5:30am! That is his longest sleep EVER! Of course, I woke up at 3:30am with engorged boobs and unable to sleep. I nursed him again at 5:30, pumped the other engorged breast, and then he slept another 3 hours. It was great! We'll probably try it again tonight, but I'll only attempt to give him one or two ounces of formula. This could be the big break we were looking (and praying) for!

9 comments :

Beth said...

yeah!! Doesn't it makes such a difference when you can get a stretch of sleep that is 6 hours!! The first night Evan slept through the night I woke up every hour from 3:30 until 7 when he woke up. Of course the following night he was up at 2:30. But little by little he is sleeping for longer stretches of time. If you don't think James likes the Similac try another brand. After I started formula I tried Enfamil and Evan hated it...wouldn't take more than an ounce. You could also try giving him a bottle of half formula and half breast milk... a lady I work with did that before bed and said it worked wonders!

Jamie said...

Yay - that's great!! Way to go James! I hope it was the formula working and not just some weird coincidence. Now if it wasn't for our silly boobs, we might actually be able to sleep through the night ;)

Anonymous said...

Jamie - Hahaha! Ya, I was thinking the same thing - hopefully not just a coincidence.

-Me- said...

Oh, engorged boobs....It scares me even to think of it. I remember when I eventually put Taylor onto Formula as well as the occasional nursing...my boobs would get SO engorged....I'm so glad that it worked for you guys, and I'm sure it wasn't a weird coincidence (I'm thinking/speaking positive things for you!!!) and hopefully you will continue to get good nights' rests, and so will little James..That picture of the two of you is absolutely adorable!

Drea said...

yes that is one advantage to forumla haha. IT LAST LONGER> Although Taite hasnt shown that yet ;-) ::sigh::

Oh I wanted to warn you. Those similac cans only last about 30 days after being opened. Atleast I think thats what the can says. Once its opened they say you use it within 30 days. So you may want to check that out. I think they say that because after so long bacteria can get into it.

Obviously James is okay though regardless.

love the pic! you two look beautiful

Anonymous said...

Way to go, James! That is so awesome that your little one slept through the night, Heather! Its so encouraging even if they only have one night like that...at least you know they CAN sleep an 8 hour stretch without starving to death! :) I hope you have another very good night!

Anonymous said...

One more thing...I'm still working up the courage to give my daughter formula. I don't know why it has to be so scary!

Stacey said...

I don't know if you would consider trying liquid concentrate formula. Rowan hated Similac and Enfamil, and he took Presidents Choice liquid concentrate pretty well. I think it was the gritty texture of the powdered formula that he didn't like. The bad part is that an opened can only lasts two days, and you wouldn't use it all before then. Buy, you CAN buy them individually, just to try.

Brandi said...

aww what a nice picture of you and your son!