Thursday, February 21

My Fifteen Month-Old

WOW - James is fifteen months old today! I'm sure many of you moms out there with kids older than that will read this and think "I totally remember when (insert child's name here) was fifteen months!". You will be thinking that because it is such a FUN and interesting stage with tonnes of learning. He can walk, run, dance, clap, hide, sing, and talk. It is incredibly fun to sit and watch him learn. You can almost hear those little brain gears churning when he sets his mind to something. Yesterday he was kept busy with books. Sometimes he would sit down with one, and it would look like he was reading it. Other times, he would try to pile them up to make a tower, or stand them up on their sides along the table. It is so very cute to watch! He is also copying us more and more. I'll do something, and then later see him do the same thing and it reminds me how careful I have to be with my actions and speech! He already knows a lot of my dance moves... scary. He is also really starting to talk more too. He will often ask me to "hide... peek" these days. That means I have to hide behind the curtains until he comes to peek at me.

Just yesterday he pointed at the toilet and said "pee". I always make a big fuss if he watches me going to the bathroom, and I'll say "Yay! Mommy went pee on the potty! Mommy is a good girl, she went pee on the potty". I was so excited that he seemed to know that the toilet was for pee. Later in the evening he kept saying "Pee! Pee!". So I said, "Okay James, let's go pee on the potty then". I stripped him down, and sat him on the toilet. He didn't seem to mind, but he didn't go pee. Just as he stepped off the toilet onto the floor he went pee! I laughed so hard, because I was so proud that he knew that he had to pee. Needless to say, I ordered a potty online today from Toys 'R Us. It should be here in a couple of days.

He is also getting to be a big boy in other ways too. He only gets one bottle a day, which is in the morning. He will cry if he does not get a bottle then, even if we try with a sippy cup. Anyway, he now goes to sleep at night with no bottle and no rocking. I'm very proud of him, because he actually did it with very little crying on the first night we tried it! He is still eating mostly pureed baby foods though. If anyone has ever had a child who didn't seem interested in moving on to table foods - please let me know! He loves playing with Mega Blocks, balls, and his Playskool basketball net. Of course, he would happily trade in all those toys if we would just chase him nonstop all day.

James is such a joy - really, we just can't get enough of him. Ryan and I have spent countless hours just watching him, and we keep saying it over-and-over again, "He is the best thing EVER!". Recently someone asked me how many children we would like to have. This was a question that came during a discussion about the miscarriage. I had to honestly say to her that right now, all I can think about is how blessed I am to have JAMES. If God blesses us with more children, I will be grateful - but for now I just want to count the one big blessing that I already have, my little boy. I don't want to forget the miracle that he is, and I don't want to focus too much on what we don't have. For now I am just hugging him extra tight, and loving every second that I get to spend with him.

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

Heather, I'm really glad that you are able to feel so positive, in spite of your losses. I wouldn't blame you if you felt really sad and I'm sure there are many days when you do. It sounds like you are rocking this parenting thing and I hope that you are able to have more children as you desire. But while it's just James I think he is very blessed to have you for a Mom.

Wenona said...

I love this post! It's so refreshing to hear all the positive things that go on in your days. I love that and hope that when I become a mom I can stop and look at all the little things that make life so great! Thanks again!

Trev and Rebekah said...

Wow, 15 months. It's amazing the difference that 5 months makes between our boys. I am glad that you are having fun with him and learning along with him.

Nin said...

You're such an amazing mom!
I love how you take such joy in the little things (they're not little things, but we forget sometimes)
James is so cute!
Good for him for being interested in the potty already!
I have no advice as far as the finger food stuff. My son did the opposite, and refused anything "baby" just before he turned a year old. The mountain we're trying to climb these days at the supper table is using a fork and spoon. Sigh...
Blessings

-Me- said...

Hey Heather..I'm with Nin...Noah isn't even one yet and HATES baby food..so strange...Taylor used to love them....it's crazy how two kids can be so different! Anyhow, I cannot believe that James is already 15 months, wow!!! He is adorable, and I'm so glad you're having so much fun with him. You are an awesome mom, and it's always a blessing to read your posts! Be blessed!

Renee Shaw said...

Great job on the whole peeing thing! One thing I started doing ealry on with the potty training is doing it like 2 times a day every day, same time. Like before bath time I would take off his clothes and while the bath was running I watched him like a hawk *often the sound of water will trigger them to pee!* If he started to pee I quickly put him on the potty. And I also made him stand up in the bath once I put him in (I know I'm mean!)...only for the first minute or so, cause again, the touch of water also sometimes triggers them to pee. And of course I'd make it all fun and everything, it won't take him long to connect the feeling of going pee to the potty.
Good for you that you are enjoying what you have now! So many people just look at what others have, or how many children and aren't satisfied with the ones they have! Having children is such a blessing and I'm glad you can see that through James! Being a mom is the best job in the world, specially when you can stay at home with the kids! Blessings!

Melissa said...

hey heather...
so i have been reading your blog for a little bit now, but have yet to comment. now i have something to say...yay!!!
i know exactly where you are coming from with the eating. and i mean exactly! my oldest, kaytlin, just turned 2 in november/07 and at that point i just took away the baby food. puree fruits and veggies is all she would eat. to this day she will only eat applesause as a fruit unless it is her idea and she wants a banana. but only if it is her idea! funny how their little minds work. as for the veggies she was on a broccoli phase recently, because again, it was her idea and choice, but that has since passed and now i am lucky if i can get anything into her. soup is what works best here...but only if she decides she wants it that day. and then that too needs to be put in the food processor for a few seconds.
needless to say meal times at our house is always a stressful time. but i just try to take it one day at a time and remind myself that she won't be like this forever. try, try and try agian right?
hang in there. and if all else fails, make sure he's getting a multi-vitamin in conjunciton with what he is eating to make up for what he isn't.