Monday, February 20

Weird Weekend

This weekend was just... weird. I experienced a pile of new and unexpected emotions, and feelings, and it was just so... weird. Sorry for a lack of better words, but it's so hard to explain.

It seemed like I had to explain our miscarriage a hundred times this weekend. I don't know what happened, but it just seemed like I ran into every single person who somehow had not heard that we had lost our baby. We also had at least three phone calls from people who either had just heard the news, or were calling to see how we were doing. I felt like I was travelling backwards. Back into the memories, back into the grief. I had to fight the emotions and the lonliness and the tears a lot. Just this morning I had a client ask how I was doing, and I said I was fine. She followed that by saying, "even with all the morning sickness and everything?". I had to tell her I was no longer expecting. When will it ever end?!

I did get to talk to another girl this weekend who recently miscarried. That was really good for me I think. She talked about things that she experiencing, and I just kept saying, "Yes, I've been feeling exactly like that too". It felt so good to feel "normal", and that we could both relate to one another. It's tough to go from the mindset of getting ready for a baby, to suddenly not. I still go past the baby section in Walmart and think "oh, I should check the price of strollers" or "I wonder if I should stock up on diapers early". It's hard to just stop thinking about having a baby. It was nice to know that she was feeling the same way. Ironically, she and her husband have been in the process of buying a new car - just like Ryan and I. The whole purpose of the new car was for the new baby. We needed a four door, more reliable vehicle. Well, we still bought the new car - but it felt sort of weird, because we weren't expecting a baby anymore, and yet it was important to me that the car had a large trunk for strollers and playpens and stuff, and that it was equipped with up-to-date baby car seat harness hardware, etc. It totally feels weird to want baby things, but there is no baby on the way.

To top off my weird weekend, we got a call on Sunday night from someone close to us to say they were expecting. Wow! We were so excited to hear the news, but at the same time a pang of pain poked at my heart. How can these two emotions be so separate, and yet so linked? I was joyful, but sad. It was eventually going to happen that someone we knew would get pregnant, and I had sort of been dreading that day. It went much better than I thought it might, but I did cry - and I know that Ryan sort of found it hard to understand this new stage of emotions. I think the only thing that would really "cure" me is if we would get pregnant again soon. However, I also don't want to get my hopes up so that I'm not too let down if we don't have immediate success. *sigh* As my friend said on the phone this weekend, "it's a long road".

4 comments :

Janelle said...

like i've said before - i will never pretend to understand what it is like to lose a child. BUT i DO understand what it is like for those all around me to get pregnant while i cannot.
it hurts! i know!! and you are ALLOWED to cry, you are ALLOWED to feel jealous, you are ALLOWED to hurt. And even though - it's true - you are super excited for them...it's like you grieve all over again for what you don't have. You wonder why you havn't been given that gift, you wonder why they deserve it more than you, you wonder if it will EVER happen to you, you wonder if these people can even begin to understand how you feel (most can't). And it just aches. Your heart aches. and you are ALLOWED to cry! Again!
But then God calmes you, holds you & protects you. He assures you - somehow - that you are really going to be ok, and that you havn't done anything WRONG to deserve this.
And then, when your friends tummy's start to grow, and eventually a little being emerges, you are able to find more joy than you thought in seeing, holding & spending time with that baby. And even though it's not yours, it fills the gap a bit...you just can't help but fall in love with them & cherish them. And be there to support their parents.
That's how i got through...this was MY experience. Yours may not be the same...but what IS the same, is that God IS holding you, He IS protecting you and he IS going to give your heart peace.
And then you will begin to heal.
i love ya.

Amber said...

Heather, I am glad you had the opportunity to talk to someone this weekend who you could relate to. In any situation it is always encouraging to know that we are not alone in our fears & feelings. Stay strong! I will be praying for you...

andrew + camille said...

awww I will keep praying for you guys. I admire your perseverance and willingness to obey God in teh midst of these storms of life.

ps I'm SOOOOOOO glad i got to read the girls' stories on how they got to make babies! ha ha!! I totally understand why you took it off - but yeah i'm so glad i got to read the juicy stories!! ha ha

Trev and Rebekah said...

Heather,
I appreciate that you are real. It is okay to have the feelings that you are having. I'm sure it was a comfort talking to someone else going through what you are. I have been praying for you and Ryan and that God will enable you to have a child soon.
Keep being real and honest.
God will use this to encourage others.
Rebekah