Monday, December 15

In the Name of the Father

I got baptised for the second time this past Sunday (photos are coming). I was really nervous, but after an impromptu prayer from a lady in the nursery I felt a lovely calm come over me. I was so blessed to be supported by my husband, all my best friends, my parents and in-laws, my NEW church family, and even a few cousins, uncles and aunts. My friend Terrilee and her sister sang Barlow Girl's "I Need You to Love Me". They did a fantastic job, I was in tears. That particular Sunday - the second advent Sunday - is the day of REJOICING. How applicable! I read my (condensed) testimony to the church (if you are interested in reading it, please email me and I'll send it to you - it's too long to post). It was hard to read it, but I think I made it through without getting too emotional. I then answered the few questions from the church, namely that I believe in Jesus Christ, the inspired Word of God the Bible, and my intention to be baptised UPON THE CONFESSION OF MY FAITH. It felt sooooooo good to answer those questions having THOUGHT ABOUT MY ANSWERS, and meaning it when I answered "Yes"! I was helped into the water by Pastor John, and met on the other side by my dear husband. Together they helped me dunk beneath the water. I know I was crying when I went under. Wow, it felt so good to cry. I thought about how I was dying to that old self - and then closed my eyes and let the dark and the water immerse me completely, trusting fully that I would be lifted out. I pictured Jesus, and he was just grinning at me. I could almost hear Him saying, "Well done my good and faithful servant". I knew that the angels in Heaven were partying. When I was pulled out of the water, the beautifully lit Christmas tree shone off my face - and I was greeted by my pastor, and the face of my smiling husband. What a special moment - it was perfect - just as it should have been. I couldn't stop smiling. Pastor John welcomed me into the family of God, and my new church. I think people clapped... I was euphoric. I then heard my son's voice from the back of the church, "MOMMY IS CLEAN AGAIN". And then laughter.

8 comments :

Nin said...

YAY!
I definately would like you to email your testimony to me!
I can't put my finger on what it is..... but something about this post totally encouraged me this morning! Thank you!
(p.s. you hubby is coming very soon)
Also, I love love love the pic of James crying on your lap with Isaiah, I thought that was so funny. Even though I have two children, they BOTH have 'only child syndrome'. haha!

Janelle said...

i would have loved to have been there. i'm sorry i couldn't be! :) i'm so proud of you & felt so many emotions while reading this - especially the part of your hubby being a part of it. i'll have to chat with you sometime about it. i am jealous of the freedom you are feeling.
i would ALSO LOVE to read your testimony.
i love you babe.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I love you!
I love how you totally thought through each moment. I am excited to see how God uses you and works through you in the days and years to come.

Lindsay said...

That's awesome Heather! Can I ask why you decided to get baptized again?

Anonymous said...

Lindsay - When I was first baptised, I basically did it because all my friends did. I didn't want my parents to be disappointed, so I just did it to keep everyone happy. I had no clue what I was doing - I was dating a non-Christian guy at the time, and really had no relationship with God. I've always regretted it, so this time I actually could say that I was baptised upon the CONFESSION OF MY FAITH!

Wenona said...

How awesome for you Heather! Sounds like you had a great re-baptism. And I love the little bit that James threw in there at the end!

Lindsay said...

I love that you did it again! I find you really inspirational!
Have a wonderful holiday in Hawaii (lucky bum)! :)

Brandi said...

Congratulations Heather. It's amazing to see how God works in such a real way!