Wednesday, October 8

Breaking Down

For the last two days I feel myself breaking down. I have an unbearable urge to cry, but even when I try to let the tears out they won't come. What is this feeling? I've been blaming it on shifting hormones, because I know that they are just starting to go back to normal now. I got myself on with an obstetrician, and I hope she will help shed some light on things as we potentially venture into pregnancy number 5. My family Dr. provided with me with all the reports from all 3 miscarriages to give to the OB. I read them the other day... and was fascinated. According to the report, we DID lose twins in January. That was never made clear to me, but the ultrasound report confirms that there were "two fetal poles present in the womb, suggesting an early twin pregnancy". I cried while reading the reports, because those papers felt like the only tangible evidence that all those little lives existed. It was like those papers were my babies, and I could finally hold them. It made me sad when I realized what a collection of "paper babies" I had. I sort of feel like the grieving of this last miscarriage is happening really slowly compared to the others. I keep thinking that I'm over it, and then suddenly I find myself entering a new stage of grief. I know that some of this is because I am still ticked off at God, and haven't been talking to Him much yet. It still really stings when I see other mom's pregnancy tickers, and pregnant women around. I am happy for them, but my heart yearns in an inexplicable manner to be in their shoes. Once that maternal urge for a baby hits, it is almost like a drug addiction (I shouldn't use this as a comparison, because I've never been addicted to drugs). It seems I can't think about much else but the desire to have a sibling for James. I am content knowing it is not in my control, and at peace with the idea that we could lose another baby - I am just not content or at peace with not being pregnant right now, because I AM SUPPOSED TO BE! I know that this is pretty raw stuff, and I am laying my heart down right here on this computer screen - but it feels like if I don't I'm just going to explode. My friends have heard so much of this already, so at least if I write it here you have the choice to read it or not, and I don't feel guilty about venting (which I obviously do feel guilty about, because I feel the need to make a comment about it). Sometimes I am just weird!
I really love this picture of James by the way. I felt I should add it, just so that there is some sunshine in this very dreary post. He always has something cute to say, but my latest favourite was when I came down the stairs the other day while he was watching cartoons. I asked "What are you watching?". James said "Bob and Bill". Unsure of what show that was, I went to look at the screen and he was watching "Bob the Builder"! Hahaha!

16 comments :

Martha said...

I am praying for you, and it's not a bad thing to vent - you need to be able to let go of the feelings that you have. Amazing isn't it to think that you were having twins. I will never forget the moment when the Dr told me that I was also having twins - even though I was told that they had died, I remember feeling awe that we would have had 2 babies....we really need to get together...I'll try calling you again later.

Tamara said...

Heather:
I wish there was some answer to the question WHY....I know I know someday we can find out even though by then we won't care but its so frustrating. I will hold you up in prayer....

Trev and Rebekah said...

Thanks for venting and sharing your heart. I love you and I wish I was there to give you a big hug. Let me know when you get ahold of one of those books that were recommended to you.
You are right, all those babies are real and they should be in your arms. I am glad you are grieving. Grief isn't something we are supposed to do once and then let go of. It may take you years and that's okay.

Erica H said...

I admire your honesty and being raw with us. It makes it easier to know exactly what to pray about for you. And twins...wow! I'm praying God will open your womb to accept another baby - for you, your husband AND James.

Robin Fehr said...

Thanks for your honesty, and for being you.
You are a great friend, and I see the way James loves you so much, you are a GREAT GREAT GREAT mom!
I hope that peace continues to find you in this situation, my prayers are with you.

Beth said...

Finding out about the twins had to be so difficult. :( My friend miscarried one of her twins and they told her the other baby was fine... then in a few days she lost that baby too.
It was so difficult for me to pray too... even though I completely relied on God for peace and strength, I didn't know what to say to him.
Thank you for sharing your heart. My heart hurts with yours... ((hug))

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

I've never miscarried a baby before, so I can't pretend I totally understand what you're going through, but I remember a close friend who miscarried her baby being very upset when she found out someone she knew was pregnant and due on her exact due date. I think it must be pretty normal to feel, for lack of a better word, resentful or envious of pregnant women around you when you've just lost your baby. (And then guilty for feeling that way.)

I'm praying for you sweetie. This must be so hard, and even harder when it has put a strain on your relationship with God. He can handle your anger though, and I'm sure He can understand it too. I know you'll be okay, and He'll be right there by your side waiting and helping you to get there.

Lots and lots of love from here.

(reposted comment... had to clarify a statement. sorry for the clutter.)

Lena said...

Heather- I have been in your shoes many times... and I have had the exact feelings. Thanks for sharing your heart- and I agree it's hard to be in the place of grieving.
It's hard to see others who are pregnant and who have what you don't, it just stings... and I still struggle with that too.

I am going to put myself on the line and say this:

I would encourage you to go back to God- heather He loves you more than you could ever imagine and He is grieving for your babies right along with you.(this is the picture I keep getting)

Choosing to forgive God is going to help you heal (I know too well from my experiences)- I can tell you He didn't cause your miscarriages- and He wants to give you a baby more than anything.

Just surrender to Him your wants and needs- I promise you there is nothing more healing than that.

I hope it's okay that I said this- I just don't want you to go through this on your own... we all need God more than we know. I know I couldn't have gotten through my miscarriages without Him.

You take care heather- I will be praying for you.

Rena said...

I've worded and reworded this comment so many times - I feel compelled to say something but feel unable to express it properly - I hope you understand the heart of it...

I have never had a miscarriage but I did have a struggle getting pregnant the second time around...so many of the feelings you expressed sound similar to the ones I experienced. Specifically in regards to those being pregnant and having babies when I was praying desperately to be in the same situation. I struggled with the loss of a dream of a child every month. Even though God answered our prayers for another baby I still find that I am grieving the "losses" I felt in the months prior to conceiving. Allow yourself to grieve as needed; you DO have babies that you should have gotten to know, to hold, to love.

I appreciate your openness - I think you verbalize what so many woman feel when facing miscarriage and infertility.

I will continue to pray for you Heather & that God will answer bless you with another child to know, hold & love.

Jamie said...

Thanks for your honesty Heather. I'm proud of you for sharing so openly because it's something that I can't do myself.
I've learned that God is with us even when it feels like he's not and that he may never let us in on why awful things have to happen. I'm just trusting that it will all make sense when we get to heaven - and it probably won't matter when we get there anyway since we'll get to be with our loved ones again.

BTW - James is such an adorable little man already and such a good poser for the camera!

Warren & Liane Thiessen said...

I'm sitting here crying for you. I know EXACTLY how you feel. Just after my first miscarriage I had to deal with 4 sister-in-laws being pregnant. One was due one week after my due date. I was happy for all of them, yet I couldn't watch them joying their pregnancies.
On my husbands site I was the only one not being pregnant. I felt so left out and hurt (even though it wasn't their fault) I had struggles not releasing my anger and pain on them. And I was too ashamed to share my feelings with anyone. Every time I said something I got slammed down. Like they were allowed to be happy in front of me, but I wasn't allowed to mourn in front of them.

You are so strong and I admire that. If you need to talk I'm here for you! And in the meantime I'm praying like crazy for healing for you!

- Liane

Wenona said...

I'm sorry that you are struggling so much. I am praying for you.

Carla said...

Hugs Heather! You can vent to me any time.

Gina said...

I'm so horribly sorry you are feeling this way Heather. I admire how open you are able to be on your blog... it's something I can't do, and sometimes wish I could. Praying for you...

Janelle said...

i wish really bad i could hug you right now.