Saturday, April 7

Tough Couple of Days

The last few days have been a little tough around here. It all started on Tuesday, when I went to my first "Mommyrobics" class. It starts at 9:30am in the city, and that totally screws up James' nap schedule. The class was a lot of fun though. I am doing it with my friend Jeryn, and I'm looking forward to the next one this coming Tuesday.

Then, on Wednesday James got his 4 month immunizations. He did pretty well with the needles, but he was quite cranky for the rest of the day - not that I blame him! The next morning he was scheduled to see the Dr. for his 4 month check-up. James usually wakes up pretty happy, and he is content for most of the morning. That particular morning though, he woke up unhappy. Ryan had just stepped out the door to go to work, and then all hell broke loose! James just started to scream, and scream, and scream! This was EXTREMELY unusual for him. He was also pulling at his ear, and because he has had a cold for the last week, I wondered if it had developed into an ear infection. I was glad that we were going to be seeing the Dr. However, the screaming didn't let up, and after 45 minutes I called my mom for help. I couldn't hear anything that she said over the phone, but it was enough to know that she was on her way immediately! By the time she got to my place (5 minutes), James had finally calmed down - but was hiccuping, coughing and making that heart-breaking breathing noise after crying hard. My mom also assumed he likely had an ear infection, but his raspy breathing had her concerned that it might be pneumonia. We tried to keep him very still, covered him in a big blanket and she held him in her lap while I drove us back to her house (pulling a 'Britney Spears'). She came with us to the Dr. appointment, and thankfully James remained in a relatively good mood after that big outburst. The Dr. checked him all out. His ears were fine, lungs were clear, throat was fine... basically there was no real explanation for his huge screamfest, except for the possibility that he was really having discomfort from the needles. The Dr. gave him a dose of infant Motrin, and said to keep giving it to him for as long as he seemed irritable. He fell asleep on the way home, and slept for almost 4 hours!

On Friday we had a family gathering, and I don't know what your kids are like, but it seems like all the passing around and attention seems to make James a little upset. So, he was cranky all day Friday too, and his schedule was again totally messed up. On the bright side, he hasn't been doing too bad at night lately, despite all the schedule trouble. He still gets up at least once between midnight and 7:00am, but it's manageable. Anyway... after the gathering he seemed to be in a bit of a funk, and that has lasted most of the day today too. I am looking forward to the weekend of gatherings and going out to be over so I can get him back on his usual schedule on Monday! Poor little guy, it's been a tough couple of days for him!

8 comments :

Domestic Bloggess said...

Oh Heather, I'm so sorry to hear it's been a rough few days.

I did want to mention that James' tugging on his ears reminded me of Palmer around the 5 month mark. He changed from rubbing his eyes to rubbing/tugging his ears when he was tired. It may have been a one time deal for James but maybe keep a lookout for it again.

In my "mommy haze" as I call it, I didn't clue in at first and thought something was wrong for days. It was only when I realized he wasn't rubbing his eyes anymore that maybe this was his new way of telling me he was sleepy.

Here's hoping it's a long while before you experience "Screamfest '07" again!

Becky said...

Sorry Heather... And all I have to say in reply is... I love the picture. It's so warm and serene looking. Too bad some of that serenity couldn't get transferred into real life!

Drea said...

its 4:25am and im using dialup at my father-in-laws house to check email and ur blog! LOL U OWE ME!!! HAHAHA DIAL UP IS SO STINKIN SLOW!!!!!!!...

Im up feeding the wee one so this keeps me awake better than TV.

Thats odd how he screamed like that. Maybe it was teeth? or maybe it was a reaction w/ the needles. Hard I know...

Taite doesnt hardly make a peep.. he barely ever cries... If he hadnt had a hearing test cleared I would of thought he had hearing issues... because he seriously NEVER cries. Only time he cries is if Caleb hurts him (has happen...) or if he is EXTREMELY hungry... which usually never happens because I get to him before the extremely part comes.

babies are all different though.

Taite still hasnt had any shots.
He was sick at 2 months so we skipped those.. and since moving we havent had a chance to settle down yet so we hvaent gone back to get anything.

Im not concerned w/ it though.
I know people who never get their kiddos shots and their perfectly fine.

WIll see :-) He looks precious

Trev and Rebekah said...

Sorry it's been a tough week. You've been on my mind since Thursday. We should talk soon.
Like the new blog. I think that after I get all my spring cleaning done I'll try to tamper with my own. Perhaps I'll call for some advice. :0)

kelly ens said...

oooh- poor little guy!
as for the passing around thing...taeya hated it too. only now she's getting more ok with it, mostly because she's more mobile and can get around if she wants. but as an infant, all the attention ruined her!

Jamie said...

Micah's never done well with a change in routine either. And now with Keziah, it disrupts her naps and I can't keep her on a schedule and usually makes her nights worse. We've had that kind of a weekend here too. It's frustrating and as much as I love the weekend and the break from MY routine, I always look forward to those normal days at home when I can get the kids back to THEIR normal selves :)

Keziah actually had a similar "screamfest" the night of her shots. It was odd since she didn't seem bothered by her last ones and Micah had never cried like that after ANY of his needles. She finally fell asleep but it seemed like she cried for over an hour - really hard! Maybe they put something new in those 4-month shots?!?

Anyway, those are always frustrating/scary/confusing situations and I'm glad that James seems to have recovered. I hope you have a better week this week!

Jolene said...

Poor little buddy! I guess at his age it's okay to express your true feelings about a weekend of family gatherings. I will pray that you will have a more peaceful week and that there won't be anymore "screamfests" around your house.

Tamara said...

Heather:
My little one only 2 months old has the same reaction being tossed around....people just don't get it they have good intentions but babies are people,,,

Like the new look