Friday, November 24

James Kennedy

I'll see how far I get with this post before I get to go and take care of my SON! He's just taking a mini nap for the moment. I wish I could hold him and type, then I wouldn't have to part with him... he feels SO good in my arms. As Patti said in one of her comments, perfectly natural.

So, I was scheduled to be induced on Tuesday the 21st. I was none too thrilled about the idea, but I was excited and going a little nuts (hence Monday night's dancing video). I felt a little weird all day Monday though - but I just assumed it was my anxiousness to have baby. I was very hormonal and emotional all day. Having to take Kitten to the vet was devastating. I went to bed that night thinking, "well, tomorrow I get induced". Maybe I finally relaxed, who knows, because I woke up around 2:30 am with mild contractions. They were just like what I had felt before, except this time they didn't go away right away. They started to become more frequent and a little more uncomfortable - so I woke up Ryan, and we timed them for a while. Once we were convinced it was the real thing, we both showered, packed up and went to the hospital. On the way there, the bumpy highway really started those contractions to fire up - and the pain was all in my back, so it was an unpleasant trip! So, prayers #1, #2 and #3 were answered - labour started on it's own, Ryan was home to drive me, and the roads were good.

On the way to the hospital I prayed for everything and everyone. I prayed that I wouldn't be just one more centimetre dilated, and for the doctors, nurses, baby, me, Ryan... We arrived at the hospital at about 7:00am and they put me in a triage room to be examined. Prayer #4 - I was 5-6 cm dilated! The nurse was a little surprised - as was I! I didn't feel like I could be that far along already! They got us set up in our own private birthing room around 8:00am, hooked me up to an IV, and then it was time to let labour do it's thing. We tried hall walking, but that felt really bad, so it only lasted a short time. Around 9:00 or 10:00am I really started to get uncomfortable, so they started me on laughing gas with a mask I held myself and could use as necessary. I also started doing my breathing, and so we huffed and puffed until about 10:30am. Everything went really fast from that point! My water finally broke on it's own, and then I wanted to PUSH! Ryan kept helping me with the breathing, as did the nurses, and at 11:00am I was ready to started pushing. The Dr. showed up right in time, as I pushed for 18 minutes and James was into the world. I had to have a little snip done, as James' heartrate was going down and he had passed some meconium in utero. And then, our son was in my husband's arms and we just stared at our beautiful blessed. Prayers #5-7 answered, good labour, quick delivery and no epidural. Oh, and prayer #8 - a perfectly healthy baby boy!!!

I don't know what else to say. Everything is going well so far. I got a few hours of sleep last night finally, and today all is well. Breastfeeding is going well. Everything is well. All for now. Baby needs mommy.

12 comments :

Anonymous said...

Alright! I'm the first one to comment on the labour! Wow. What an awesome first delivery!! I'm so happy for you -- and glad that you aren't too war-torn in your nether regions, which really makes adjusting to life with a baby much easier.

Now just think. I started my labour with our first the same time as you did. Except Madeline was born at 3am the NEXT day!! (And I had 4th degree tearing with her.)

But I'm not bitter... just happy for you. :) (I had a quick 2nd delivery to make up for it.)

Great to see pictures of James. He's just beautiful.

-Me- said...

Heather, I'm so glad that you had a pretty easy time of labor and delivery, and that all your prayers were answered. The past few days I've been trying to catch up on all the blogs you have written and reading this just was even more emotional for me! I'm so happy for you. You and your husband have been so blessed, and will continue to be blessed daily by little James I'm sure!!!

Wenona said...

Heather - I'm sitting at work with tears in my eyes. I praise God for answering your prayers. You have been so faithful throughout the last year through both good and bad times, and God has definately rewarded you.
I am so happy to hear that everything is going well at home and that you are adjusting to life as a mom. Praise God!
Blessings for your family...

Christine said...

Heather, he is soooo beautiful! Congratulations.

Drea said...

Your lucky to of had a fast and easy labor! :-)
Mine was REALLLYYYYY long. Around 15 hrs long actually... and my water did not break on its own... and I did have to have an epidural... and my pushing took TWO hours... had it gone any longer they would of done a C-section :-\

So Im hoping this time isnt so long haha.

Becky said...

If I had known you were booked to be induced on the 21st I would have bet on you going into labor the night before... It seems like that happens to everyone I know... Okay, not everyone, but my mom and I both went into labor the night before we were booked to be induced...

I'm so glad it all went so well and a little jealous. (I'm an emergency c-section girl...)

Kimberley said...

So glad that everything went well with the delivery it was almost perfect if I say so myself

kelly ens said...

so glad to hear it went so well! great to hear all the answers to prayers! :)

Gina said...

I also have tears reading your post Heather. We have been through so much to be blessed with this perfect little angel. Glad to hear all is going well.
Blessings.

Jamie said...

Heather - I'm SO excited that you got to go into labour all on your own! And way to go doing it without the epidural!! It sounds like you had a pretty good experience and I hope you're healing well and adjusting to all the wonderful things that come with a newborn. It feels strange for me to be starting this phase all over again, and in some ways I feel like I've forgotten a lot of things, but it's so wonderful to have such a tiny baby around again!

Praise the Lord for answering all of your prayers and giving you a healthy little boy!

Jobina said...

What a wonderful first labor experience! I'm so happy for you!

Janelle said...

i am sooo excited that everything went so well! all of that anxiety you had, and all it took was a little e-dancing! :) i'm so proud of you.
How faithful God has been to you. And what I love the most - He's holding you as much right now as you begin this new stage as a Mommy to an incredibly handsome little boy, as He was holding you when you went through all of the trials before this. He never lets us go...and that's GOOD, because parenting doesn't get any easier! haha...look at me sounding like i have so much experience!! :)
i love you!