Saturday, September 9

Prenatal Class

Ryan and I went to our first prenatal class on Thursday. I really enjoyed it - but Ryan said he found it hard not to make wise-cracks. There are about 10 couples in the class, including a few that we know. The Public Health Nurse, Laurie, did a lot of talking - basically giving a run through of pregnancy from start to finish. She also showed us some flip chart images during various stages of pregnancy that I found really cool. We also watched some short video clips. It was SO funny to hear all of the guys groan during the 3 second clip of a baby's head crowning, and then for the brief clip of the delivery of the placenta! Laurie also informed the men that they would, in fact, have to do a lot of helping out! In any case, I think it will be really informative, and actually a kind of fun thing to do as a couple. Next week we watch a full delivery from start to finish - I might have to bring a barf bag for Ryan. Haha! And yes, that is my belly in the picture. I actually did Photoshop some of the obvious stretch marks out!

My question of the week: What is your opinion on Cord Blood banking?

7 comments :

Drea said...

Prenatal classes are hilarious.
I had the hardest trouble doing the breathing exersizes though because your told to breathe from your chest... and for the entire year before that I was in a seminary chapel choir .. and we had been taught to breathe from our diaphram! so It didnt work well.
Plus I kept cracking up lol...

Oh... also when I was in labor... I didnt really remember any of the breathing stuff :-\
Didnt need it after an epidural tho.

About cord banking...
We have Calebs cord blood.
We did it just because there are some illnesses on Travis' side that are fatal. The cord blood if Caleb had been born with it could save him from this particular problem.

Thankfully he wasnt born with it.
And the chances of our next one being born with it are probably .00009% but still it is nice to have that to fall back on..

We debate doing it with our 2nd one though. For a num. of reasons...

1) Its stinkin' expensive!!
2) Where is our Trust in God? I mean yes God teaches us to use our minds and I do believe technology and science is using our minds... as long as its used correctly...

But it was almost like we werent fully trusting Gods plans by banking the blood.
You know?
But maybe it was Gods plan for us TO BANK it.
Its very confusing :-)

But Im all for cord blood banking.
It was easy to do...
Just cost a lot.
I have a few more months to think about doing it again.

Janelle said...

are you sure it's even allowed in Canada Heather? I was sure that it's only in the states...but i could be wrong.
and ya, i heard it's VERY expensive!!

Anonymous said...

Janelle - Yes, it is happening in Canada now. Friends of ours had it done with their son, born just over a year ago. They send the blood to a bank in Vancouver.

andrew + camille said...

i love that pic!! gorgeous tummy and baby plett...;)

grahamandkristy said...

Heather, I have definately considered that question for when we have kids. I wouldn't hesitate if it weren't for the cost. The cord blood is only good for a number of years ( I think till the kids is about 6 or something - I am not quite sure). However, at that point it could be used to help someone else as I believe anyone's bodies will accept the cord blood (once again I only read one thing on it so I may not be correct). I think I would do it if the cost was reasonable and I could afford it. But I would encourage you to do your research on it.

Nin said...

My hubby and I found it hard not to crack up too. Just remember to take the good and leave the rest. It's all about what will work for you and what won't, and they can't teach that in prenatal class. I found it funny that every two seconds the nurse was explaining that they "used to do things this way", but now, it's recommended that you do things THIS way. I think what it boils down to is if it works, do it, if it doesn't, don't :) Don't let all the opinions of what everyone else does cloud what you want to do.
Beautiful belly! How did you photoshop? it's looks great, I'm sure it looks awesome stretch marks and all.

Sharon said...

Answer to question of the week:
While I don't think it's NECESSARY to bank it, I would do it if we were in a better financial situation. Even banking for just one child could help the entire family. Did you also know that you can donate the cord blood? I just learned this recently via danielle bean's site. I'd consider that, too.