Friday, July 7

Shopping

I had a lot of fun baby shopping on Wednesday. After all of your great advice I stopped panicking, and just browsed. I ended up finding a nice diaper bag (not too big, not too small) for $19.99, and also picked up a medical set, wash cloths, and a pack of two "onesies". I felt those were reasonable buys, and a good start to some of the essentials I'll be needing. I've also started buying a pack of diapers every now and then, so when the time comes we won't be feeling like we have to buy diapers every week! I just toss them into the grocery cart, and have been storing them away. I like to think that I will be thankful I did this later on.

Ryan and I also visited E-Children, a store in Winnipeg with fairly high end nursery furniture. I was very surprised at how reasonable the prices were! In fact, some of the cribs were a fair bit cheaper than those at Toys R Us and Sears. I also liked the fact that most of their products are Canadian made. Ryan and I tend to try to support Canadian manufacturing as much as we can. Anyway, we picked out a favourite crib, seen on page 2 here. We would get it in a darker wood though, to match the room. So, we have that and the change table/dresser (seen in the background with a hutch attached) on our wish list. We also picked out a travel system from Graco, so that' s on the wish list now too. Every day it feels more and more real, and yet still totally surreal that we have a little one on the way into our lives! What an amazing gift - I just love every day that I get to enjoy it.

9 comments :

Janelle said...

ok, i have to apologize, i totally missed that last post!! i would have had lots of comments!
the one thing about diapers - don't buy tons of newborn ones - i did, and Kamryn never fit into them...not cool.
i tried not to buy too much - but it was hard because all of my showers were after she came. i did buy a diaper bag - a couple of onesies - monitors - washcloths (though you won't need any because you'll get a zillion of them) - ya, i really did not buy much...we got SOOO much stuff - Kamryn still hasn't worn some of her presents!
and blankets - don't bother buying any of those - Kamryn never USED some of the ones she was given because we got so many.
I think a registry is a great way to go - i didn't - but i wish i would have...people don't have to look at it if they don't want to - but just let the people who are planning your shower know that you have one & they can put that in the invites!
i would LOVE to come to one of your showers - too bad i don't live closer!!!!
i'm getting so excited for you - especially looking at the crib! yippeee Heather!!!

Sharon said...

Beautiful crib you picked out!
Seems like a good start.
I 2nd the thought of the size of diapers. :)
Glad you feel more relaxed now. Just wait til your shower- you'll feel you don't have enough room for everything!

Tamara said...

Beautiful crib Heather...just like Janelle said be careful about the diapers and get as much from your hospital as you can. They will give you some all you have to do is ask. Also have a couple of going home outfits. Thankfully I had a sleeper in DD's diaper bag because her coming outfit swimmed on her...sometimes you can't go buy sizes....so exciting

Trail Rider said...

commented on your last post

Nin said...

gorgeous crib! wow, baby will be sleeping in style :)
I third Janelles comment about the diapers. I forgot about that one, but yes totally, go for the size ones. Blessings, glad you had a fun and relaxing shopping trip.

Nin said...

by the way where did you find your new diaper bag?

Heather said...

Okay, I won't stock up on any more newborn diapers (I only have 2 pkgs). I found my diaper bag at The Bay. It's called "Baby Baggage" and it is totally black, and pretty much your basic diaper bag. No bells and whistles. I thought it looked like something my husband wouldn't be ashamed to walk around with (even though I'd love one with bright colours and all fancy). I will definately bring a couple "coming home" outfits to the hospital - a couple of girl options, and a couple of boy options. It will be November - do I buy a snowsuit of some kind?

Christine said...

I totally love the crib. When the time comes for us, Wendell's dad is going to be making us a crib. He has made everyone elses, so I am very excited about getting a home made crib.

Janelle said...

Kamryn was born in March - but in regards to the snowsuit thing - you will almost always have your baby under tons of blankets in the car seat...and those babies heat like furnaces...if anything i would recommend one of those fleece one pieces that they sell at Old Navy & places like that...you know - those cute ones with the ears or whatever? if not, let me know & i'll send you a picture...but those would be more practical & easier to fit under the straps of the car seat...i don't know - just a thought.
and i second the comment about taking stuff from the hospital...you are entitled to every diaper they have in your room & ask them for the bottles (if you want to take them - they were the best bottles i used for the first little bit, they are nice & small) but DON'T boil them like the hospital tells you too...my Dr. told me that when you do that - the glass (cause the hospital bottles are glass) frays off into the milk...yikes. not cool.
and ya, like tamara said - have a couple of coming home outfits...i only had 2 newborn outfits for Kamryn - she was too big, she never even wore them...i had to send Rod home for a 6 month old outfit (sizes are NEVER right, EVER).
oh boy - i can't wait until the baby comes!!!! i'm so excited!! we should MSN/webcam soon!!! love you tons and sending big hugs to you & baby!