Friday, June 2

Excellent

My appointment today went really well. When we arrived at the doctor's office, we were immediately told that we should head over to the hospital so that I could get my WinRho shot. I guess what had happened was that when I got my first shot (due to the bleeding I was having in early pregnancy) they only gave me a six week dosage, and it should have been a twelve week dosage. It's nice that someone watches for these things! So, I'm all topped off now - and don't need another shot until August. We headed back to see the Doc.

The doctor is super nice, and talks really, really fast! Her whole wall was filled with pictures of babies she had delivered. She gave me all the necessary info, and a few options to choose from for various matters. Then she measured me - a perfect measurement for 16 weeks she said! Then we listened for Pepe's heartbeat, and that was good too. A healthy 150. While we were listening to the heart, there was a little "thump" - the doctor said "That's the baby kicking you!". It happened a couple of more times while we listened. Heehee - can't wait until I can FEEL those kicks!

She offered me the triple screening test, for Spina Bifida and Down's Syndrome. Of course, we would never terminate our pregnancy - even if our child was diagnosed with a handicap. I wasn't sure what to do, so I opted to take it - knowing I could cancel it if I wanted to. I still haven't decided. Did you take it, just to find out? Or did you just skip it entirely? Or if you haven't been pregnant, what is your opinion on it?

8 comments :

Nin said...

so neat to hear all your new news. Glad that you have such a great hubby that calmed you down from your mountain of panic. It's times like that that make you wonder how you could ever walk this road on your own. I'm so glad God has blessed me with an amazing hubby, don't know what I'd do without him.
My hubby and I decided to just skip those tests altogether. We figured the same, we would never terminate a pregnancy, and if we did find out there was a handicap, what's the point of going through stress and fear until baby comes. Anyways, if that ever happened, God knew it long before we even considered having a little one, and I figure He will give me all that I need to walk that road, if it ever came.
But there's no right or wrong answer, I've heard some say that if they found out there was a problem, it would give them time to research it, so that they would know what to do when the time came to care for the little one. Either way, as long as your keeping your faith and trust in God, and not the medical system or your own fears, do what feels right.
So blessed to "know" you. Always look forward to reading your new news. Blessings Heather! Enjoy the time off, and the beautiful weather!

Nin said...

I always leave such stinkin long comments, I'm sorry..... ;)

Sharon said...

First, Congrats!! Pregnancy is such a miracle. Prayers it continues to go well.
I have somethings in common with you. We also lost a baby to miscarriage, at 16 weeks. (back in March) We are blessed with our son here on earth- he is 2. The miscarriage was still devastating, though. We want many children and we want our son to be a big brother. :) I can relate to you and your situation.

As for the testing- just my opinion, but no, I would not have that test. Like you said, it won't change the fact that you are going to have this baby. Plus, anything major can usually be detected during the 20 week ultrasound. While I think it's great being able to prepare the best for the baby, I think it's not necessary, and worth the risks to the baby and mom. I did not have that test when I was pregnant with my son, and I was not going to have it with our last pregnancy. A lot of it stems from our faith in God and accepting what He sends our way. (I know, easier said than done).

Good luck with this decision. Is it an option to wait until after the ultrasound?

Warren & Liane Thiessen said...

I haven't been pregnant yet, but here my thoughts! I had Diabetes since I was 12 and now being married, I've been thinking about stuff like pregnancy. And because there is a bigger risk of handikaped kids for diabetic I would like to know if my baby is healthy or not. It wouldn't change anything. I would still have the baby, but I think, that way I can prepare myself, my husband and family with the situation! I don't know maybe I'll think different when I'm in that situation but that's what I'm thinking right now!

Hope you have a GREAT pregnancy!

Liane

Tannis said...

I chose to skip those tests for the same reasons others have mentioned. If you do decide to do it, keep in mind the number of false positives people get (test shows dicey but nothing is actually wrong in the end after lots more tests and way too much stress).

Jason said...

After having one child with Down Syndrome we were offered the test and turned it down. Who cares what the results say. We love Kai just as he is and (to be honest) he's so much less work than children without Down Syndrome.

Christine said...

I have never had kids before, but I think I would opt away from those tests. I think God only gives people handicap children if he knows that they can handle it. God is amazing and no matter what happens, God is always there.

Ang said...

That's so great heather, nice update.
I skipped as many tests as possible. But if you want to do them then heck go for it, why not. Unless they're going to make you worry and "what if", you don't need that crap.