Friday, June 30

Desperate Pregnant Housewife

Okay, maybe not desperate! Anyway, it seems we have come to the infamous half-way point of 20 weeks. I am so thrilled to be here, and just have to praise God for it!

Life has been good, despite another ugly cold that began to brew last week. I am now "nasally incapacitated", and I have been coughing a lot. The coughing really hurts my stomach muscles, so I've been trying to take it easy, and drinking tea calms the cough. But other than that, things are going great. Apparently this week the baby's brain starts to really grow, and so Omega 3 is the nutrient to pack in. I was proud of my lunch yesterday - a salmon salad sandwich on enriched white bread (they only had white left at the store), a caesar salad light on the dressing and a big cup of milk. I thought it looked pretty darn healthy. My latest symptoms are basically just the fetal movement, a growing belly and zits! They say a baby girl "steals her mother's looks". If that is the case, then this must be a girl - because I just don't look too hot these days.

Being a full time housewife has also been great. I love having a quiet morning to do some cleaning, or the laundry, or the dishes - or whatever! Right now the sound of the running dishwasher makes me happy. I love having the radio on, and I love being followed around by our cats - though usually they are sleeping during the day, and find ways of getting in my way. It is also nice to be able to go walking in the mornings, when I am actually motivated and invigorated to do it. I've been walking with my mom, and that has been a treat. Yesterday we were invited to a BBQ for all those living on our street - our invitation had never been received, as it blew away in the wind. So, despite the late notice, I made an impromto (humungous) bowl of "Death By Chocolate" and came home with a nearly empty bowl. This could not have been accomplished had I been working - and McCain cake would have had to suffice. Not that I'm dissing the wonderfulness of McCain cake, because I LOVE it! So, I am enjoying my early maternity leave. However, seeing as I can't apply for maternity E.I. benefits for a few more months, I will be starting to do some work from home. I have my new computer all set up, so now I just have to wait for the work to roll in. I'm looking forward to working at home, and on my own time.

Heather's Favourite "Death By Chocolate" Recipe

1 pkg. Devil's Food Cake
2 pkgs. Instant Chocolate pudding
3 cups Milk
2 lg. tubs Cool Whip
6 Skor chocolate bars
2/3 cup Kahlua (optional)

Prepare the cake as per package directions. I make mine in a big cookie sheet so it's easier to cut later. Freeze the Skor bars. Prepare the pudding with 3 cups milk and chill. Thaw the Cool Whip. Once cake is cooled, pudding is chilled and Cool Whip thawed, cut the cake into three equal parts, and then into 1" squares. Put the Skor bars in a ziplock bag, and crush fine with a rolling pin, or meat mallet. Put one layer of cake in a large bowl or trifle dish. Drizzle cake with some of the Kahlua. Top with 1/3 of the pudding, 1/3 Cool Whip and 1/3 Skor pieces. Repeat layers, ending with the Cool Whip and Skor bars on top. Keep refrigerated. Usually tastes best if it chills for 3-4 hours before serving. Enjoy!

3 comments :

Unknown said...

Hey Heath I want to introduce you to my other mom-to-be blogger, Tamara. She's at http://pitwife.blogspot.com/

Wenona said...

Yummy! That sounds so good. I will have to try that recipe. I'm glad that you are enjoying your time at home, and hopefully working from home will be good for you too. It takes a disciplined person to work from home when there is so much else that you might want to do, but I see you as a person who would handle that just fine! Have a great long weekend.

Tamara said...

Hi Heather,
Nice to meet you...been out of town but am back. so I take it you aren't going to find out what sex the baby is huh? Found out with my other two and am hoping DH will let us NOT try to find out the sex of this one...

congrats on your pregnancy going well and being a housewife...also can't wai to try that receipe