Friday, September 19

Busy or Animated?

bus·y
1. Engaged in activity, as work; occupied.
2. Sustaining much activity: a busy morning; a busy street.
3. Meddlesome; prying.

an·i·mat·ed
1. Having life; alive.
2. Filled with activity, vigor, or spirit; lively.
Often I find myself, and many times other people, describing James as "busy". It bothers me when I also hear myself being negative about it, saying things like "Yes, he is into everything, it's so tiring". Or people will make a comment like, "Wow, you must all sleep well at night, he is so busy!". It's then that I wonder if I make the negative comments because I am embarrassed, or if I'm just making excuses because I wonder if they think James is like that because he's spoiled or undisciplined? The truth is that I like James as he is. I wouldn't want him to be anything but busy! I love it! I love running after him, even when he's getting into trouble - because isn't that what little boys are all about?! I love that he jumps, climbs, wrestles, runs, and crashes the mini shopping cart at the local store down the stairs busting open the parmesan cheese. These things are what makes James who he is!
Today a lady came to me in the store and said, "Your son is just perfect! He is the perfect mix of cute and animated." She then told me that when they were expecting their first child her husband had told her he would rather have an animated child than a cute child. I loved it that she used the word animated! It really describes James perfectly. He is animated - and I love almost every moment of him being his animated self. Thank you to that wonderful woman who said those kind words. It's so nice to hear those things - and of course she confirmed what we already knew, James is truly perfect for us.
In other news, a dream that I've had for 5 years is finally coming to pass next week! Our house is getting painted! We live in an older, two storey house that probably hasn't been painted in 50 years (that may not be an exaggeration). The painter is getting started on Monday, and I can't wait to post the before and after photos. I think it will be quite dramatic!

6 comments :

Erica H said...

Its true. I, like so many other mom's including yourself, find myself telling people all the negative things about Annika when they ask how she's doing, or what is she up to these days. I end up telling them, "oh my goodness, she's driving me crazy! SHe's SOOO busy!" I need to start being more careful with my choice of words on how I describe Annika to people...soon she'll be old enough to understand what I'm saying. James is a real sweetie. I've never met him - but his eyes just dance with character! PLUS, I think our kids make life so much more interesting!

Trev and Rebekah said...

Isaiah is animated too. I love that word!

Wenona said...

I think "being busy" is a blessing. It means that they are happy and healthy and able to do things. Some parents don't get that blessing. I am looking forward to seeing what Koen will be like when he gets a bit older. And you're right - boys will be boys. Rough and tumble comes with the territory. Enjoy your beautiful blue-eyed angel!

Lena said...

I can't honestly admit- I don't know what it's like having a busy kid. my kids are anything but busy.
But every child is so unique and it so fun to watch them be what God created them to be. I loves James Eyes- they are just adorable!

Tamara said...

Thank you Heather...child 1 and child 2 of mine are not as "animated" as number 3,,,,I will so use that word now...

SO why don't these animated children sleep as much as they should?

Ellen said...

I love this post!! It's seems that society has deemed our busy boys as a negative thing - I find myself doing the same thing. I love the word - another good one is inquizative! (sp?) why do we expect our little ones to act like adults and follow all the etiquette rules like adults - they need to explore and learn and they learn through experience! We need to encourage our free-spirited children!