Wednesday, November 17

James - 4 years

Okay, so he's still three days shy of being four. I was worried that I might not get a post in for him, so here goes... hope I can keep my tears away for this one!
As if he's four. As if. For some reason four is hitting me so much harder than three. Maybe because four means he is in preschool now, which starts the new thirteen year journey through school - and the beginnings of less of me, and more of his friends... and their influences. But that being said, James loves preschool! He is sometimes overwhelmed by the routine - and would like to keep doing the "fun" things and not so much of the "boring" things. He likes the free time, craft time, and snack time. Sometimes he likes story time. He doesn't like the singing (though I've caught him singing a few times). He also loves it when they go outside, but that is likely coming to an end now.
James is addicted to numbers. He loves ANYTHING and EVERYTHING with numbers. He loves cars with numbers on them, the number foamy things we have for the bathtub, our number magnets, his calculator, the phone... and sometimes he'll just sit and type numbers on the computer. He likes to ask me what certain number combinations are, like "Mom, what is a 1 and a 3 together?", "That's thirteen". This can go on for LONG periods of time. He also loves watching "Number Jacks" and has a favourite puzzle at school that is numbers. We have some wipe clean books, and he always does the pages with numbers. We wonder what this number fascination means for his future? Stock market trader?
If you have me as a friend on Facebook, you know that James also has funny things to say almost daily. The other day we drove past the Winnipeg Mint, and I told James they made coins there. He asked if we could go inside, and I said we couldn't that day but maybe another day. He groaned, and then said "I always wanted to go to the place where they make chocolate coins".
James also recently announced that he is no longer eating anything but Kraft dinner, and peanut butter and jam sandwiches. Really, this isn't too far out from his current diet. I can't get this kid to eat - particularly meat and veggies. Most days I try to make sure my meals include SOMETHING that he'll eat - but I'm getting tired of it. When I do try to make him eat new things (or things he just doesn't want to eat) he gags and pukes. So this is quite a problem, and I still don't know what to do about it. Thank goodness he'll eat fruit, and milk.
James is still the most sensitive and loving little boy I've ever known. He often will say for no reason at all that he loves me, or comes to give me a hug because he thinks I need one. He tells me that I'm beautiful, and that I smell good. He cares when he sees me upset, and cries when his little sister gets hurt. He adores his friends, and is loyal to them like no other. I hope and pray he will love Jesus like that someday!
So we'll see what the Fabulous Fours will bring! I hope it's his best year yet - with many more stories to tell.

4 comments :

Gina said...

Happy Birthday James! 4?? It was 4 years ago that you posted that Dancing Christmas video?! ;)

Anonymous said...

It's almost four years since the famous dancing video was posted! I'm going to try to do a sequel this year - but it only gets posted on the 20th. :)

Lindsay said...

Happy Birthday, James! :)

Carla said...

Wow, sniff, sniff!! I hope our boys are friends forever!