Sunday, March 16

I'm NOT a Germ-O-Phobic!

***Long Post Warning***
Really, I'm not. I am not afraid of germs, and I think that it's really good for your child to be exposed to a few to strengthen their immune system. However, I don't really feel that it's necessary to spread germs around. Nobody enjoys a sick child. Especially when the sick child's sleep is affected by the symptoms, and thus, affecting the sleep of the rest of the household. I know that a parent doesn't always know that their child is carrying a virus, because these viruses can go undetected for days, sometimes weeks. But if your child is physically showing signs of illness, I believe it is our duty to keep them out public places - and at the very least, when it is absolutely necessary to go out, to be considerate of the other healthy children around.

There are a few places that make me cringe when it comes to the spread of germs. These places are: Morning Out for Moms, the childen's play centre at the mall, shopping carts, the church nursery room, and the airport. James has been at, or been in contact with at least three of these places or things in the last week.

I have NEVER yet taken James to Morning Out for Moms this year that he has NOT gotten sick within a few days. This has been a great frustration to me, and other moms, because we would love to attend this weekly event. However, James has been sick after every single time I've attended. I actually haven't attended now for a month or more for this very reason - because I am tired of a sick child. I decided I was being silly, so I brought him there this past week. Wouldn't you know it - he has a cold now.

I won't necessarily blame Moms group though. On Monday we travelled from Vancouver Island back home to Winnipeg. In the Vancouver terminal, at our gate, there was another mom and her son waiting to board the plane. James was strapped into an umbrella stroller, minding his own business. This other little boy, just a few months younger, was walking around the waiting area. He immediately came running up to see James, and I said hello to him and the mom. They were both very friendly, and 'Logan' started climbing up onto James in the stroller. James was NOT impressed, and at the same time that he started to cry I noticed that Logan had shnot running out of both nostrils, and into his mouth. I also noticed that he was sniffling, and before I could stop the impending spread of germs he let out two raspy coughs - right into James' face. I did not show it, but I was livid! I politely lowered Logan down to the floor, and made a bee-line with James out into the hall. My mother-in-law saw the whole thing unfold, and was equally as perturbed as myself. We both had to ask, why would that mother have let her obviously sick son crawl all over another child? Nevermind the fact that we were strangers, and James was really upset that this child was climbing on him. I tried to clean James up with a wet wipe, but as far as I know that will do very little to kill off a virus.

I encourage all you moms out there to do your best to protect your children, and others by not taking them out into public areas when they are noticeably sick. Teach your older kids to sneeze into their elbow, or use a Kleenex. Maybe even carry a little bottle of that antibacterial stuff in your purse. Please don't be angry with me if you disagree. I just don't think its fair that I have to lose sleep because little Logan wanted a stroller ride. I really feel like when James is sick, it's my obligation as his mom to keep him away from other children, or places where he could easily make someone else sick. We were at the mall recently, and James went up to a little baby girl on her mom's lap. The mother was friendly, and started to talk to James, so I knew it was okay that he was near them. Then James reached out to touched the baby's hand. I quickly took his hand away, and told him that it was not okay to touch a stranger. I then told the mom that he was not sick, so she didn't have to worry about that. She was very appreciative! She thanked me for being courteous about letting my child touch hers, and also said she thought it was really nice that I had taken into consideration that he could pass on a sickness. In the end, she said it was okay for James to touch the baby's hand, so he did.

On this same note, I was impressed at the grocery store I went to in B.C. Right at the door, where you pick up your cart they had a stand with antibacterial wipes on it. You could use the wipes on the cart, or basket. I thought that was actually a really great idea. Apparently there are some places in Winnipeg that have the same thing - Sobey's, Safeway and a few others. Of course, it happens to be places I don't often shop, but I hope to see this as a new regular initiative of other stores. I don't think it's right to over antibacterialize everything - but a few less sick people is a good thing, in my opinion.

9 comments :

Leslee said...

I am TOTALLY in agreement with EVERYTHING you said in your post. I don't know how many times I had taken my kids to our church in our last home town and there were constantly sick people around us...It's so annoying! Twould be nice to have a town of all moms that knew and agreed with the same practices as you and I...

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you're saying, however, I think I tend to be less protective of my kids because frankly, it seems kind of futile. As you say, sick people don't always exhibit symptoms. So I'm of the opinion that "if they don't get it here, they'll get it somewhere else." But I do agree that it is completely inappropriate to let a sick child crawl all over other kids like your airport experience. And if I have a playdate arranged and my kids have a cold I ask the mother if she still wants to have the playdate. Some people don't mind, others prefer to reschedule. And I try to be understanding if that's their preference.

Also, the antibacterial wipes at the grocery store is GENIUS! Shopping carts give me the eeby-jeebies, even though I'm not really that paranoid about germs. :)

Nin said...

I agree, and you are not labbled a germ-o-phobic by having these convictions. Keep walking in those convictions and you will see others follow.

Jobina said...

I agree to a point. For anyone whose kids are in childcare or school you know that you cannot keep your kids home for every sniffle they have. Even at our church, it seems to be the concensus between Mom's that bring your kid in with a cold is ok. Bringing your kid in with a fever or flu is a no-no.
Should a kid dripping snot from every orface climb on your child...no. But I think there need to be some balance and grace here.

Trail Rider said...

I am totally totally with you on this whole post! I share your frustration with situations similar to the one you shared about that boy coughing in james' face.

I sometimes just don't understand how other parents could not agree with us! I know some parents that really could care less if their own kids get sick! so if they don't care if their OWN kids get sick, how could they care about someone else's kids.

That is a tough one. With our family, we have 4 kids, so that means that usually the virus runs through 6 people over a couple of months! by the time the first one is better, the virus has mutated and we all get something different!

We have been sick for up to 3 or 4 months solid! People don't think about these facts when they are letting their child cough all over other kids. I wish they would....

Thanks for letting me rant a bit too. I like what my sister said, Hopefully, we can set an example for other parents and stand up strong for what we believe.

I am always so very sorry when I know that our family is responsible for the spread of germs.

Trail Rider said...

with all that said, there are situations that are beyond our control. And this is the key, to know what the difference is. To take responsiblity for the things we can fix and prevent and accept the rest as things we can't change.....

Trev and Rebekah said...

I didn't know that about the carts at Safeway, etc. Hmmm, perhaps I'll have to shop there now?! :0)

Dianna said...

Call it luck or by the grace of God but so far my 2 children have hardly had any coughs [if at all] and maybe twice runny noses but in a couple days they are gone. So far so good. I'm paranoid before hand and always have vitamins ready for them and install it in them at a young age and introduce them at a very young age to eating lOTS of fruits of vegetables. We travel alot with them Most of the time when my hubby and I are out we take the children along and I put them in grocery carts when we go shopping but so far nothing has ever been picked up but I'm thinking it might be a different story once they hit school age years. But if I would have such an extreme case of always sick as you are dealing with your little James I would get frustrated myself. Poor you would you mind if I recommended an immune builder for your little guy to help him fight off germs more easily ? Herbal remedies, or vitamins isn't for everyones taste but it sure helps in my household. I can only tell you from my experiences and I have prove that it does work!

Wenona said...

Don't worry about feeling like you're over-reacting, cause you totally are NOT! I feel the same way. Some may dub me as a germ a phob, but if I know someone is sick, I stay away from them. I know it's harder once you have children, but yes, when they are visibly sick, it is only considerate to keep those germs to yourselves. And eeeeewwww! how gross for that kid to crawl on James with boogers hanging out of his nose! Gross!