Wednesday, July 18

Sick Little Monkey

Last night was really bad, but at least I now know why! I put James to bed, and he seemed to go down relatively fine - but I did notice that he sounded congested. An hour later he was up, and he was crying very hard. I decided to let him cry a bit, thinking that I was finally going to "lay down the law". After 10 minutes I couldn't take it anymore, and he was coughing and breathing really hard - so I went in to rescue him. He fell asleep in my arms within a few minutes, so I put him back into the crib. He woke up the instant his head touched the mattress - so I attempted this three or four times before I finally had success. I had to prop him up on his side, and that worked. That was around 10:00pm. At 1:00am he woke up again, and again he was crying hard. The crying is unusual. His night wakings are usually just whining until he gets a bottle, so when he cries hard like that and has tears it means he's really upset. I went in and picked him up, but he wasn't even really awake. He kept his eyes shut, and just kept trying to bury his head into my neck. I felt so bad for him - he sounded extremely congested. Finally he fell asleep with his head on my chest, arms over my shoulders. It was really priceless, and although it was 1:30am I didn't want to put him down. I kept telling myself to cherish the moment. Someday he'll be too big to sleep on me like that! I carried him around like that until 2:00am, and then got my hubby to help me set up his rocking chair to sleep in. The rocking chair has a "brake" so that it doesn't rock, and then he is at least propped up enough to breath easier. Once I finally had him in there, he slept until 7:15am!

So, this morning I took him to the Dr. to have his ears checked. Thankfully his ears are clear, but the Dr. did say that he may still have fluid putting pressure on his ear drums - and that could give him an ear ache. I gave him Tylenol for the discomfort, and Dimetapp to clear up his congestion and he seemed to be happier. Tonight I gave him a cough/cold medication, and put him to bed in his rocker again. I feel confident that we all may sleep pretty well tonight... and then when he is healthy again, I WILL lay down the law!
P.S. Thanks Erica for sharing with me how to do this cool effect on photos. I love it!

9 comments :

Trev and Rebekah said...

K, now you'll have to tell me how to make the cool effect on photos! :0)
Yep the picture was taken on Sunday. Thought it was time to have a new family photo taken.
Hope your night is better tonight.

Drea said...

the photo looks great of him!
Im sorry he isnt feeling well... I hope he gets through it fast. Babies seem to recover from colds really fast.. so it shouldnt take very long. Ear aches are stinky... never fun!! Keep us posted.

Nin said...

Aw! It's so hard to "lay down the law" when you have no idea if they're in pain, if they're teething, if they're sick....then when you figure out they are sick, you feel so bad! (I felt this way when our Mr. was teething, he has 6 now!) But you're right when you say soon enough you won't be able to cradle him in your arms. So take in this short time and "baby" you sick little baby, then I agree, when he's better.....put on your boss badge.
I love that photo too! I really want to get one of those photo shop programs, I love pictures, and seeing ones with cool effects is just awesome.

Mrs. Stam said...

Poor little guy, I hope he feels better soon! Love the picture

Ellen said...

You are so right about cherishing the moment, you got me all teary eyed when you wrote about that - I remember those middle of the night awakenings with a sick little one, ur so tired but it's just so precious, no words can describe :) those are the moments I love being a mom! my son is 1 1/2yr and already too big to baby sometimes (he doesn't want to be cuddled sometimes) :) where does the time go?

Jen said...

How DO you make the cool effect on photos? Hope tonight is better :)

Summer said...

AWWWW! hope the little guy is feeling better soon.

Great photo of him!

Amber said...

get better soon James!

Janelle said...

i know how you feel my dear Heather! too bad we don't live closer and our kidlets could be sick together, and we could just veg and watch Oprah. haha...