Tuesday, June 5

Sleep, Oh Precious Sleep!

So... last night we took James over to my mom and dad's for a sleep over. I had to laugh at the amount of stuff I had to pack just for one evening, night and morning! We packed the playpen, baby monitor, food, bottles, blankets, diapers, clothes, extra clothes, toys, medications, bath stuff - it likely looked like we were going to leave him there for a month! However, I felt it was all necessary. We brought him over there around 5:30pm, and I gave my mom the "schedule" I had prepared - asking her to please stick to it as much as possible. She complied. So, we left. I missed him almost immediately, and wondered if he would sense abandonment. I knew he was having the time of his life though, and that he was in the best possible hands he could be in - besides my own. When we got home, I didn't really know what to do with myself at first. The house just felt so quiet! I wondered if it had really felt this way before we had James. I couldn't remember it being so quiet. In any case, we had supper and then went outside to work on the yard. I began to feel a little emotional about having left my son. I wanted to go back to say good night to him, kiss him one more time, tell him I love him, just make sure he was okay. I stopped myself though, and told myself to enjoy my time without him. It just felt weird to be responsible only for myself. I eventually went inside, and did cleaning that I usually can't do - like dusting James' room, and things like that. I also got the counter completely free of all dirty dishes! I couldn't believe I would wake up to a clear counter top! Ryan had rented a movie, but by the time we were ready to settle in for the night it was 11:00pm - and we realized we shouldn't spend our night without James by staying up all night! So, we had some relaxing time together and then went to sleep. I did wake up a few times in the night, but it felt nice to just be able to stay in bed. We slept in until about 8:30am, and I had a nice quiet breakfast. Finally, at around 9:30am I couldn't wait any longer and went to pick up James. Of course, he was all smiles when I got there. He had a totally "normal" night, and got up for my mom at the exact same times he would have at home. This was a relief to me - I would have been disturbed if he had slept through the night for her. He was a perfect angel for my mom. Wow! It was so great! Now we know we can rely on him being there for the night if we needed to. All in all, I am so glad we did it - I'm already looking forward to the next time, but I don't want it to be anytime soon. It's great to have the house noisy again! I definately thank God that life doesn't feel right without James there to be part of it. I wouldn't go back to that life for anything.

8 comments :

Anonymous said...

I know you feel. When I left my first daughter for the first time when she was a baby. I missed her alot. It did feel so weird without the little one around. But at the same time it was nice to be alone without worry.

Glad you had a good night.

Dianna said...

Oh your moms a pro. After all she was a mom before you. It's def. true when they say moms know best. Glad you are well rested.

Jamie said...

I'm glad you had a restful and relaxing night to yourself!

I have only been away from Micah three nights in his life and two of those were spent in the hospital which weren't very restful at all! It's always great to go back home and see them - just a few hours away from my kids makes me anxious to get home!

Melanie said...

Isn't it funny how we get so used to caring for our children that when they aren't in the house with us it feels incredibly empty? I'm super glad for you to be able to sleep in and just have a bit of "me-time".

kelly ens said...

way to go!

Mrs. Stam said...

Hi my name Renee and I found your blog on Drea's and I taught I should say Hi.

I'm a christian fresh new mom and I know how you feel about sleepless night (our Rebekah is 1 month old and we have had a lot of sleepless night already)

Our blog is www.babystam.blogspot.com
feel free to stop by
Renee

Kell Rees said...

i'm glad everything went good for you!

So how did it feel to get a full nights sleep? At least you now know that he'll be fine with your mom and you and your husband can have yourselves a date night every once in awhile. As much as you missed him, it is so important for your marriage.
I'm SO looking forward for that time to come for me and my husband, to go out and watch a movie that isn't rated PG:-) (but i guess i have to quit nursing first)

Erica H said...

Oh I'm so glad James did well for your mom, and you and your hubby got time to yourselves! That's a huge blessing! One I would take advantage of every once and awhile! :) I hope things are going well for you and your family...