Wednesday, March 10

Ready, Set, Steam & Squish

I had fully intended on making my own baby food with James. However, when he started on solids I made the mistake of trying out jarred foods first - and I just never went back. It was TOO easy to just go out and buy the food. This time around I am not making the same mistake! I have forbidden myself to buy any jarred baby food - though I am allowed to buy the boxed cereals. The plan? Make ALL of Rayya's baby food myself.

To make it easier on me, I purchased a really cool product called Baby Cubes. They are like ice cube trays, but each cube comes off the tray, has an attached lid, and they are dishwasher and microwave safe! This is perfect for me. Our Braun hand mixer comes with a food processor attachment, so that's all ready to go. I bought a food grinder when James was little, but never used it, and that is also ready to use (I hear it's good to use to get rid of the "husk" from peas). I have my mom's old steamer basket, though I know I can just steam the veggies right in the water.


My aim is to try to make one or two new foods each day for a week, and freeze it in the Baby Cubes. After that, I calculate that I will only need to make food every 2 weeks - if not less. I also intend on trying a few different things with Rayya - like avocado, which doesn't even need to be cooked, and same with bananas. I never gave James avocado, and he hated bananas (still does). I think my first few foods will be steamed carrots, apples, pears, peas, squash, and maybe I'll try chicken. I'm actually looking forward to it! Wish me luck, that I don't get lazy and resort back to jars!

11 comments :

Warren & Liane Thiessen said...

I made my own baby food with Jillian. I didn't really use a recipe. I mostly made sweet potato, with verggie's and some sort of meat. I did use bought cereal as well.

Kimberley said...

Good for you Heather. Logan pretty much ate "natural food" since he was 4 months old (he started with fruits) and then we kept adding and he honestly loves everything. Not a picky eater at all and I think that has to do with the wide variety of food you can give them if you make your own. Do try avocado it is great and they get super full fast.
Anyway you will do great!

Anonymous said...

I have the book "Blender Baby Food" and so far with my second kid, who seems to be a whole lot less picky with textures, has loved the combinations that I've given her. The meals actually taste and smell like real food! So far her favourite is Citrus Coucous Chicken.

Renee Shaw said...

Good for you Heather! I had wanted to do the same with Isabella, but I already had Preston to look after and time just got away on me! I def. plan on doing it this time around though. Good idea to buy those containers! I love with making your own baby food that the food is all natural and doesn't have all the corn starch in it that jars do. And you can do so much more when making your own - like the avacado you were mentioning...I've never seen that kind in jars!
One thing with Isabella is I didn't buy the boxed cereals, I made my own. creme of wheat is a "runnier" texture than oatmeal, so I started her out with that and gradually increased her to the oatmeal and then added in apple sauce or whatever fruit too. That def. saves a bunch when they are eating cereal a few times a day!

Erica H said...

Good for you! I give Britta avocado at least once a week (I love them, too!). I usually mix it in something...she doesn't like it on it's own very much.

Trev and Rebekah said...

Way to go. If we ever have another child it's something I want to do more of. I think Isaiah is picky because I some things I did or did not do when it came to meals for him.

Amber said...

Isn't it fun??! I didn't buy any jars of baby food for Jayda or Madelyn. Also, I found they weren't in the 'smooth' baby food for very long, so usually making one batch of each food (and then freezing it)was enough and then they were wanting finger food/chunks. Have fun!!!!

Lindsay said...

Fun!

Briony's absolute favourite was avocado + banana (I sometimes added blueberries as well). Just don't be freaked out because the avocado can turn brownish in the freezer. And avocado and banana are still some of her favourite foods. It's weird, but she'll totally demolish half an avocado cut into finger food pieces as a snack now.

Sweet potatoes + apple together worked really well too, and that combination was another favourite here.

I will totally admit that I snuck bites of both of these. They're delicious!

Wenona said...

Oh Heather - you will NOT regret making your own babyfood. I bought a few jars with Koen, just to make sure he liked the foods, and then I made a lot of food and put them in ice cube trays and then into ziplock baggies. You know why I didn't go back to jarred food? Because I KNEW what my baby was eating, and that made me feel really good. You can do it Heather - I know you can!! Have fun - those cube things look great!!!

Robin Fehr said...

Good for you! Sounds kinda fun... I did about 50/50 with Jaxson's baby food. Somedays I made my own, sometimes I bought (especially things like pears because he liked those so much). His favorite one was sweet potatos though, and that was good because they are sooo easy to make!
When are you starting Rayya on solids?...

Brandi said...

What great little containers! Good for you - I made a fair amount of baby food for Oliver, but never found containers small enough and ended up having a lot of waste. I'll definitely be asking about these in a few months!