Monday, March 8

A Quiltin' We Will Go

My latest obsession/hobby has become quilting! Well, making rag quilts anyway. My sister-in-law's kids all have a rag quilt, made by a lady in town who is a friend of the family. I always admired them, and wished my kids had one.
My wish came true when my friend Carla made one for Rayya. I was so pumped! I asked her how she made it, and was shocked to learn how relatively simple it is. If you can sew a straight line, you can make one.
At my very next opportunity, I stopped in at Fabricland to pick up some fabric and thread to start quilting. I quickly completed two rag quilts, and also an easy fleece "knotted" blanket. Then my friend told me I could buy pre-cut fabric squares online! Oh boy! So now I have enough fabric to make two more rag quilts. I already know where two are going, but I'm not sure about the others yet. I might hang on to them for gifts, or perhaps sell them. In any case, I think I might start taking orders - because I love to make these quilts, and it would be nice to make a little money off of it so that I can keep making them! I've always really wanted a hobby, and this is perfect for me. I think I may have found my niché!

3 comments :

Lauren said...

Those quilts are gorgeous Heather! I am so so not crafty or creative in any way, but would love for my children to have something so cute, so if you do decide to sell them, please post the info:)!

Domestic Bloggess said...

What a great hobby and what cute fabrics you've used! My mom made Palmer an Easter Rag Quilt in his first year and it is by far one of my favorite blankets he has.

Carla said...

Love them!