Monday, April 20

PUMPED!

Our little southern Manitoba region is not exactly what I would describe as "toddler-friendly" during the winter months. First of all, it's cold. There is very little chance that my two year-old was going to spend much time outdoors in -40 windchill this winter. At that temperature, there is also litte chance that I'm going to try and pack him up to do any type of travelling. It's just too cold for that. There is also nothing fun or interesting to do within a decent driving distance in winter. The indoor activities include Morning Out for Moms, which is geared more for the moms than for the kids, and the usual playdates. Out here there is no indoor pool, recreation centre, or even a McDonald's playland. Simply, there is nothing for toddlers to do all winter - and they just get cabin fever, and so do the parents!
So, when we went out to BC a few weeks back, I was kind of super aware of all the options there were for kids. It seems that even the small communities had set up activity programs geared specifically for toddlers. These programs and activity places ranged from franchise-type indoor playlands, to a simple open gym time. I was inspired to do something about our lack of toddler activity/fitness programs when I got home. I felt that at the very least, it should be possible to set up an open gym time twice a week (one morning, one evening). The open gym time would be a three hour session, one morning from 9am - noon, and one evening from 6pm - 9pm. At the open gym time we went to in Abbottsford, we would provide a bunch of balls, hula hoops, trikes, ride-on toys, a slide, a climber, a blow-up bouncer, etc. There will likely be a small fee per child, which will go towards improving the program, and adding acitivity equipment. I hope to also extend the invitation to neighbouring towns, send out flyers, posters, and hopefully make it a real hit.
I made a comprehensive list of all the items we'd need, prices, and wrote letters to various community groups, including the RM, asking to help with the finances and the setup of this kind of community program. Since then, I've received very positive feedback from the RM, and some options for obtaining funding through a special farming community grant. I'm getting pretty pumped to see "Tiny Tots Gym Time" become active this coming fall/winter! The main problem might be finding a space for it, and storage facilities for the equipment. Hopefully our local school will come on board to help with this - because as a small community we just can't get programs like this off the ground without cooperation. If you have any ideas of what you would like to see in such a program, let me know! I'd love to hear your ideas!

5 comments :

Wenona said...

Good for you Heather!! That is an awesome undertaking that you are taking on. I hope that your community will be on board and help to get this program off the ground. I'm sure there are many parents saying "it's about time!" Good job!

Jamie said...

That's great Heather! I hope it all continues to come together for you!

Erica H said...

That is such a great idea, Heather! I really hope that gets up and running for you - what a fun activity to look forward to every week...

Robin Fehr said...

I love this idea! And have to hand it to you for coming up with it, and the motivation to get it going! I hope (oh I hope) that it works out, and that we can get it going for this fall/ winter!

Jolene said...

Hey Heather. I got an email today at work about a grant (I don't know if it was from the MB government it came from SouthEast Health but it might be more province wide) for any organization/school/group interested in helping their community become more active and promoting healthy active living. Your idea would totally fit this. Might be worth looking into. Let me know if you want me to forward the email to you. I love that idea by the way!