Friday, November 28

Funny Story

Wouldn't it be HILARIOUS to see a terrified cat riding on the roof of a vehicle going 80km/hr?! This is what I was thinking yesterday when I realized that our cat had come along on a 1-1/2 mile ride on the roof of our van! I'm not sure what was more funny, the cat coming along for the ride on the roof, or when I braked to turn onto the driveway and he came tumbling down the windshield onto the hood and James saying "What happened big kitty?". I can say all this with laughter, because the cat wasn't hurt in any way. Scared, yes, but not hurt. I would have felt horrible if he would have been hurt, because he is our favourite cat. Anyway, I couldn't help but imagine how that would have looked if you would have just been peering out your window and witnessed this cat go by on the roof! Wow, that would have been SO funny!

I saw the cat on the roof when we got into the van. Usually he would have known we were leaving, and would have jumped off right away. I didn't see him jump off, so I figured the noise of the garage door opening and the van starting would scare him off. I still didn't see him jump off, so I slowly backed out of the garage thinking that he would definately jump off if the van was moving. I still didn't see him. When I got out of the garage I couldn't see him anywhere, so I stayed parked for a couple of seconds longer to give him time to jump off. At that point I assumed that he had to have jumped off, and just went someplace where I couldn't see him (this would be unusual, because he almost always watches as we drive away). So, we left, and thus the cat ride on the roof.


The rest of this week has been busy but uneventful. I've done some Christmas shopping, did some church decorating for Christmas, and a few odds and ends. I really want to do some Christmas baking, but James isn't a big fan of me working in the kitchen, so I haven't done any. One of my biggest frustrations as a mom is that I actually really love cooking and baking, but my son does not let me do that in peace. Unless I put him in front of the TV he will cry and try to rip my arms out to come and play with him. It's almost useless to even try to do anything but the necessities, and even then we are usually just eating things that are quick and simple.


James got to sit on Santa's knee this year. I'm not really into the Santa thing, but had to make an exception this year because Santa was actually Ryan's Uncle Stan! We had to go visit him, and I decided I would buy photos merely because Santa was such a special guy.

12 comments :

Tammy G. said...

Our cat rode all the way to Winnipeg in the back of my husband's truck. The cat got to spend the day at work and then ride in the cab on the way home. He must have been just tuckered by the end of the day. lol

As far as cooking goes, I would try to include your son. If I make a chocolate cake, I measure the ingredients but they put them in the bowl and stir. And then of course there is the taste testing... They usually eat more dough than when it is cooked.

Rena said...

lol - that would have been quite the sight to see!! Glad the cat was unharmed :)

Getting James involved in the kitchen might help - or he'll realize he doesn't want to help and entertain himself! It usually works for Anya, she'll help for a few minutes and then go play, but you do need to be prepared for a little extra clean up!

Anonymous said...

I have tried involving James, but this also doesn't work. He is not careful AT ALL - and is usually near to falling to his death when he gets on a chair. He also throws EVERYTHING, so if I try and let him pour something into a bowl he will more likely THROW it into the bowl. I can accept a little extra clean up, but I have spent enough time sweeping up sugar and flour to know that I don't want to bother any more. I've tried letting him help with other aspects of cooking (pouring in the noodles, etc.) but it just gets dangerous.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and he doesn't go and play on his own when he gets bored. He NEEDS me to come with him. Is it wrong to let him "cry it out" when I need to cook/bake?

Wenona said...

I LOVED the story of the cat! I can just imagine what it would have looked like. I bet the claws were out and eyes as big as saucers! LOL! LOVE IT! Glad the cat wasn't hurt as well.
I'm sure eventually James will let you cook/bake in relative peace, but it's probably very frustrating that you aren't able to do that now.
Thinking of you!

Erica H said...

Annika HATES when I cook/bake, too. That's why I have to use my crock pot like ALL THE TIME! I usually throw supper in it during her nap in the afternoon - it actually works out well doing it that way...less work for me, too. But I have had to let Annika just "cry it out" while I work in the kitchen, too. I think that's fine...she eventually gives up and gets herself involved in something. But its hard cause my kitchen is totally seperated from our living room/play room. For Christmas I've asked my parents if they'd like to get her a play kitchen that I can put in our kitchen with her own play food, dishes, etc. I think she's going to REALLY like that!!

Jamie said...

I love the visual image of the cat riding on the roof - fur flowing in the breeze and fear in her little eyes :)

I have to let the kids whine while I have work to do. With Micah I was more willing to set things aside to play with him, but with 2 kids I've realized it's unrealistic. And it's good for them to remember that the world doesn't revolve around them :) I still try to find alternative activities to keep them entertained - anything that they can do in the same room as me is usually the most effective :)

Roo said...

your kitty!!! the one who tried to hop into eliora's car seat?

:)

Anonymous said...

Ruth - No, it wasn't that kitty. It was our big orange and white one, I don't know if you got to meet him. By the way, I ate ALL those cinnamon buns on my own with the exception of about 6.

Trev and Rebekah said...

The only way I can bake is if Trev helps Isaiah while I do most of it. We bake together. Trev keeps Isaiah from making too big of a mess. :0)
I'd love to see you out this way in the new year. Maybe you could even come to some sessions with me.

Roo said...

!!! GOOD JOB HEATHER!!!!! you sound like me. brian has to FIGHT to get any sugar in our house. (or hide his stash in a really creative spot)
xo

Becky said...

Ahhhhh! Your poor cat! That is CRAZY! I can't believe he wasn't hurt!