Sunday, November 9

Thumbs Up for Mommy's Day Out

No matter how much I adore James, I still need to have breaks from him. It's been really interesting to me to see how life with him gets more fun, but at the very same time it also gets more challenging.
On one side I am having a blast with all of his talking, amazing memory, non-stop learning, increasing independance, humour, and ability to watch TV for more than 3 seconds.
On the other side of things, I find myself completely drained and exhausted at the end of the day (more than ever before) from the constant running, entertaining, rescue missions, boo-boo kissing, tantrum avoiding, discipling, and scolding that comes hand-in-hand with a two year-old.
The last couple of weeks have been hard on me, especially as I seem to have hit rock bottom in my cycle of grief. The changing weather is having an effect as well, and I think I've been feeling the lack of sun and vitamin D already! So I was very happy to take a short leave of absence today and go see my mom's art show, and do some shopping.
I firmly believe that these outtings help me to regain my composure, renew my heart and mind, remind me that I am a woman of value, and make me a better mom. I think they need to happen more often, because I sure felt SO much more ready to take on another week with James after the break today. I loved the quiet ride in the car, listening to worship music. I also enjoyed a quiet lunch with my mom, and the unexlainable joy I got at being able to walk through the entire mall without a stroller, diaper bag, or impatient toddler. I enjoyed a Cinnamon Dolce Latte from Starbucks, and didn't care that I had to be in the line up for 15 minutes. I spent about half an hour just trying on bras - a wardrobe necessity that is usually my least favourite thing to buy (right before bathing suits) and cannot be accomplished with James with me!!! I found 3, all 40% off, and another 15% off at the checkout - ch-ching!
After I got home my mother-in-law called and told me she wanted to give me a break and would take James for a couple of hours tomorrow morning! I am looking forward to using that time to turn up some good music (time to whip out the Boney M) and clean up the house. I always feel SO good once my house is clean - I then feel like I can take on anything. So here's my thumbs up for mommy's day out. If you haven't had one lately, you deserve one.

10 comments :

Trev and Rebekah said...

Just having a date night on Wednesday was so wonderful for us. I don't seem to have mommy days off too much now that family isn't around.
Yeah for new bras.
And have fun cleaning. Do you want to me come wach our dishes? :)
I hear you on being exhausted. I was reminded yet again tonight how busy my son is! Yet I love him to bits.

Leslee said...

We were talking the other day at my mom's group about feeling guilty for needing to 'take breaks'...It's so great to just KNOW that you need breaks and not have the guilt! My mom(of 5 kids) always told me she never took enough breaks and that I should take them guilt free often...it makes you a better parent! I too feel like I can take on the world, even after a 2 hour break...My littlest is almost 4 and I still need them. However, I can TOTALLY understand being exhausted with a 2 year old around...Happy Mom time to you!

Anonymous said...

Leslee, this post is basically me trying to get past the usual guilt I feel about needing time to myself (and in the same way daddy needing time with his son). So I can totally relate to the guilt - I feel it all the time!!! Especially given our circumstances, I never want anyone to think that I don't love being home with James. I still am human though, and need that down time to regroup.

Amber said...

good for you heather. it is so refreshing to have some alone time to do whatever YOU would like to do. it's crazy though how the guilt is always present. e&i just were talking about that last night actually. i sometimes get frustrated with myself & feel bad for wanting a little time alone. i feel like i'm being selfish. but it's SO needed. and moms do one million & one selfless things in one day (most of which we are so used to doing that it doesn't seem like it...) so wanting a break every now & then should be something we don't feel guilty about.

i have a book sitting on my book shelf called 'motherhood - the guilt (but GIFT is crossed out)that keeps on giving'. i think it would be a good read. but of course i am feeling GUILTY for not reading it. blah. the cycle continues...

blessings to you today.

Nin said...

hehe! I can totally relate with everything in this post.
I'm so glad you had a nice break.... Any mother of a toddler needs these on a regular basis.
I too love it when I get in those moods to clean.... and I LOVE the feeling afterward, the sense of accomplishment and a job well done.
Hoping you're enjoying a very clean house and a cute little James right now.

Robin Fehr said...

Oh yes... a refreshing day out. You know its bad when you look forward to a dr's appointment because it means you can leave Jr. behind!
And then get stuck in freezing rain and have to hurry home :)
Mmmmm Starbucks! It IS worth the 15 min wait! Plus- think of all the people watching you can get done!

patti said...

it's so great you got to have a day like this. you do DESERVE it! maybe i'll have to plan one soon.....

where did you find such deals on bras? i've need a few new ones for a long time now, but DESPISE shopping for them.

Anonymous said...

Sears is my first usual bra shopping stop, as they always seem to be on sale there. I love WonderBra's Minimizer styles. They are the only bras that I really like.

Tamara said...

WE need a date night......mommys day out took me forever to do guilt free...but it really energizes us and helps renew us and miss our little ones...

GOOD FOR YOU

Becky said...

Heather! It is too early for Boney M! You have to wait till December. I'll wait with you. Put it down and walk away! LOL. (You listened to it already didn't you? Sigh. No will power.)