Monday, November 30

Clutter Spots

The floor of our room, and the trunk at the end of our bed. (Note: pile of maternity clothes on floor needing storage space, empty bags needing storage space on door handle, box on top of hamper needing storage space, and all my clothes on the trunk at the end of the bed needing a drawer, or closet, or... SPACE!)

In front of the unused front entrance door. (Note: if there was such thing as a hall closet in this house, these things could be hidden there - but there is no such closet.)

On the trunk in the front entrance way. (Note: sufficient cupboard/office/desk space would take care of this - plus the previously mentioned hall closet.)

On James' "little table". (Note: perhaps a playroom, with shelves and compartments for all his art stuff would take care of this.)

And the most notorious clutter spot, on top of the dishwasher. (Note: this is just us being lazy.)
I hate that there are these clutter spots in our house. I have cleaned them up time and time again only to have them reappear the very next day. I just don't know where to put all this... stuff! Mail, bills, James' pictures, pens, pads of paper, keys, purses, diaper bags, etc. All these things lack a spot in our house - and I blame this on the lack of cupboards and closets. Our old fashioned house just isn't built for convenient storage. I am actually quite a "neat freak" in my own right, but try not to get too hung up on it. However, there are days when these clutter spots start to get to me, and I wonder how I've let my home come to this! I really don't know how to de-clutter these areas, because there is NO other place to put this stuff. I find it frustrating. Do you have any clutter spots?

9 comments :

Ang said...

I know what your saying. It's become impossible to walk through my bedroom because i have this way of chucking everything there.

Niki said...

ugh...clutter. Gotta love it. (ick) Yup, definitely familiar with those! Kitchen table and catch-all table right inside the door.

Trev and Rebekah said...

Lots of clutter spots in my house..my garage, my room is always full of clutter, the phone ledge, our kitchen counters...really the whole house! Thanks so much for the call today

Carla said...

Glad to know it isn't just me!! I am always embarrassed when people see my pile of "junk" on my kitchen counter. There are many other places, but that is the one that bugs me the most.

Lindsay said...

Ugh... YES. And it literally keeps me up at night stressing about the mess.

We're in an older house too (read: no storage space). I blame a lot of it on that, but some of it is just having different priorities - I'd rather spend time with B than clean. It's really that simple.

I'm starting to tackle the storage issues room by room. I started with our office, because the most STUFF collects in there (probably because we can just close the door on it if people come over) - but that's also where I need to work. I started two weeks ago and it is NOT GOING WELL. But I have hope... :)

Kimberley said...

oh I hear you. Because we are still Building our house there are 0 closets or storage spaces. We have a little space under our sink and well in the kitchen some cabnets and that is it. Oh we have our TV in a corner and stuff is literally just thrown into the space in the back. Ahhhh, hopefully we will win the lottery one day so we can get some storage in our house.

Tammy G. said...

We recently moved into a newer house in spring and let me tell you how much I appreciate it. The house is built so smart. Storage space everywhere. The kitchen has about the normal amount of cupboards but I also have an island which is surrounded with more cupboard space. Then by the dining table the last owners put up a large wall of pantry storage with doors. There is storage under the stairs. Two of the bedrooms have two closets and then also shelving on one wall. The other 3 bedrooms have large closets. Then there is the laundry room with shelves and roomy enough for boxes. We have a large mud room for boots and jackets. I am in storage heaven. This is totally not meant to rub in anyones face. My post is to tell you how appreciative I am having moved from a house with nearly zero storage/pantry/closet space.

Erica H said...

I think clutter is a part of so many peoples lives! Definitely part of mine...and I HATE clutter!!

Wenona said...

Clutter? Never heard of it! HA! You should see some of our places in our house. What I did in our bedroom was re-arrange the whole thing and then I stopped and looked at what I actually NEEDED in there. And now? I actually LIKE walking into my bedroom!
Other places I find that I just put things there and before long it almost seems like that stuff "belongs" there, when in reality, it's just sitting there with no other purpose. So I usually have an MCC pile that is ongoing and once in a while I load up the Jeep and take a drive to the MCC! It's so refreshing! Good luck!