Tuesday, June 23

Overwhelmed

I haven't been blogging much lately, for many different reasons. There are the obvious reasons: life is busy, it's summer, and we're outside a lot! So much stuff is happening, that I don't have time to blog about it all, and if I did - it would be one monstrous blog post!
Then there are the not-so-obvious reasons. One the of the reasons is that I am extremely overwhelmed these days. I have trouble with being overwhelmed at the BEST of time, but particularly now - when I am majorly nesting, and feeling the on-coming exhaustion of the third (and last!) trimester falling upon me, and my body. My body is definately noticing the extra strain, especially because I am also constantly running after my little buddy, James. It feels like there is SO much to do, and I'm running out of time. James' new room is far from ready, and I can't clean up in there and get it ready, and painted until it's time. And if his room isn't done, we don't have a place for new furniture for him, so that has to wait. And if there isn't furniture, I can start moving his stuff into there. And if I can't move his stuff into there, I have no good place to start putting the new baby's stuff. And if I can't do THAT... well, I'm just lost. I need to get these things done, AND SOON, because my energy is depleting, and let's face it - baby could show up early.
On that note, and now that you think I've completely lost it, I've also had to contemplate why I blog. Why do people want to read about my life? Why do I WANT people to read about my life? I admit that the blog has actually brought out a rather bad trait of mine. This is the need for verbal or written acknowledgment that I've done something well, or recognition of an accomplishment, a compliment - that kind of thing. I really have used this blog to fulfill my need for this type of attention. When the comments start to become sparce, my mood is actually directly effected. I wonder if I'm not an interesting enough blogger. Maybe my subject was boring. Maybe I just don't actually have that many friends. It gets bad. Then I find myself getting upset that the most blog attention I get is when I've miscarried. Are people feeding off of my misfortune? Secretly enjoying the journey through the pain and the suffering that goes with it? OF COURSE NOT. But these are the insane thoughts that start flooding my mind when I get hurt that "no one" is reading my blog anymore. Is my self worth starting to become dependent on my blog audience? If so, I need to take a step back. So anyway, that's where I'm at with that. I plan to continue to blog - but before I make a post, I have to mentally prepare. I have to make sure I'm doing it for the right reasons, and not just looking to be fulfilled with these kinds of written affirmations that I so enjoy.
In happier news, life is good. Other than the overwhelmed feeling I have trying to prepare for baby - I am PUMPED that we are merely 12 weeks away from meeting the little one! James has also been a blast, and I'm just soaking up all my time with him as my only child. The house is a mess, the yard neglected, the dust bunnies flying, but I am enjoying life with James and one on the way. We spend most of our time outside, and have a calendar packed with events before the arrival of the babe. I really just can't wait - and yet some part of me wants to pause this beautiful moment in time when I can dote all of me to James.

10 comments :

Trev and Rebekah said...

great post my beautiful friend!
Hey do you have any good pics of both our boys from that painting day?
I hear you on the blog comments and can relate to most of what you wrote. Ultimately I know that my blog is like a journal and I am glad I have so much I can go back to and see and read yet like I said, I can relate to some of the negative feelings that come with wondering if people even read it, etc. I am a words of affirmation person and one who loves to get letters in the mail or an email for a thoughtful blog comment and yet I am also realizing that I need to be totally content and at peace with knowing WHO I AM IN Christ and that HE LOVES ME and that is the affirmation I need to rely on. Love ya!

Domestic Bloggess said...

Poignant and honest, Heather. Thanks for sharing. You are not alone in a lot of those feelings. I try to remember that if I don't always have time to comment then certainly the same must be true for others.

Your baby bump is beautiful! Glad to hear the pregnancy is going well and know that it will all get done in due time and if it doesn't all get done just right ... well, all that wee babe and James need are their parents love to get them through!

Tammy G. said...

I have always loved your honesty. Life has been one blur since I had children. My husband and I often wonder what it would be like to be bored for one weekend. I always have so much on the go that I even know that it would be impossible to ever catch up. I feel your stress. Just remember who your priorities are and you will get through. Hugs!!

Jamie said...

Hi Heather! I am one of your loyal readers that does not post comments. Why?? Good question. A lot of time, I have no different or better advice to give than has already been left. Other times I am just clicking by real quick to check in.

I can tell you why I read your blog. I ran across your blog way back when you were pregnant with James. I have enjoyed your postings about his growth and you are a great photographer.
And as for getting more feedback during your hardships, maybe people feel like you need them more at that time and are reaching out to you. I appreciate your honesty, as well as your humor. I would truly miss you if I couldn't 'peek' into your world anymore. Can't wait to 'meet' the new little babe.

P.s. you think you are having trouble getting things accomplished now??....you wait my friend until you have TWO little mobile people!!! :)

Niki said...

I check your blog almost every day and love to read everything...the "mundane" adventures that you have with James (that you write so well!) AND the pain so that I know how to pray for you. I'm glad that you will continue to blog. And I'm excited to "meet" your new little one too! Hope you can begin to feel more ready for baby to arrive soon!

Wenona said...

I'm sorry you feel overwhelmed. I remember feeling that way too. It's okay. Things will happen in time, and, if not, things will still be okay.
I am so glad that you are enjoying all the time with James right now. He is such a cutie pie!

Stacey said...

I'm still here too :) I just don't comment a lot, and that's not just on your blog. I'm sure some of my other bloggy friends wonder if I'm even around sometimes.

Blogging is a strange thing really. I enjoy recording the memories just for myself, but I still feel that negativity too when I don't get comments. I have no idea how many readers I really have, but that's OK. I would imagine that having a private blog makes it even more difficult, because people cannot link to your blog or stumble upon it like they can with a public blog.

Anyway, I hope you are able to get things done before your little one arrives! I remember that feeling. And husbands just don't seem to get it at all. There is an URGENCY!!

Janelle said...

i love you sweets.
and i'll try to comment more! :)
i'm just happy half the time that i have time to READ the blogs! haha...
but i really do enjoy knowing what's going on in your life...and feeling like i'm up to date! :)
i'm so excited that you are healthy - and the baby seems happy!! :)

Robin Fehr said...

Hey Heather,
Great post. Your pictures are amazing! I love your pregnancy shots. And James is as cute as EVER! I think its great that you have a blog. If nothing else than for your own "journal" online to look back at various times/ photos in your life and reflect on that. I actually wish I had the dedication to keep something like that up and running... but I don't.
So... keep up the good work. You'll never regret it!!

Ang said...

the worst blog commentor and the worst birthday wisher = the worst sister ever :( sorry. please don't call me anywhere near my birthday so that i can live with myself Heather.