Tuesday, May 13

I'm a Believer!

James has had dry skin and eczema since he was pretty much a newborn. It isn't severe, although his first breakout was terrible while we tried to find solutions to the problem. We've been able to keep it under control using the following "rules": James has to wear 100% cotton most of the time, but especially at night and in the summer. All his clothes (and now ours as well) are washed with Tide Free, a detergent without any fragrances or dyes. I also use no fabric softener. Up until now, I only used Johnson's Baby Wash on him, and ONLY to wash his hair and diaper area. He only gets a bath 2 times a week. After his baths, we would lather him in Glaxal Base cream. On flare-ups I would use a prescription hydrocorisone cream. Also, he can only wear Huggies Natural Fit diapers, and unscented wipes. That WAS our ritual, but I am now a firm believer in something new!
I sort of stumbled across a website that advertised a great soap for people with eczema. After reading all the reviews, I decided I would order some online. I was excited when I saw that they had an actual store in Winnipeg, at Polo Park mall! We went there on Saturday, and I purchased their eczema treatment package which contained a bar of soap, and a stick of body butter (as seen in the photo). The price was reasonable, and I was willing to try anything. I used the soap on James on Sunday, and was very nervous that it would cause a major flare-up. Bar soaps are SO horrible on his skin! I did it anyway, and then put the body butter on all his eczema spots. His worst ones were behind his knees, and they were quite red. I continued to put the body butter on at each diaper change. Today, his eczema is GONE. That's right folks, it might sound like an info-mercial, but it is completely gone! I am so excited, I've been telling everyone about Rocky Mountain Soap Company, Pumpkin Patch Soap, and their unscent Body Butter. It's an answer to prayer!
They also have a line of baby products, with soap and body butter for babies. I am definately going to use it when we have baby No.2, if God blesses us that way.

9 comments :

Elina said...

I use this stuff on Brendan too. My mom is actually a distributor for them so I've had lots to try out. I use the "adult" products on myself all teh time too! Its great!

patti said...

thanks heather. sounds like something i will try on jackson who seems to suffer with flare ups from time to time.

Jamie said...

Thanks for posting about that. Micah has gone through phases of extremely bad eczema as well. Your routine sounds a lot like what we did when it was so bad - less bathing, lathering glaxal base, etc. :) Anyway, I hope this stuff does the trick for James!

Tannis said...

I'm going to try that soap too. I had totally forgotten that someone recommended that to me on my blog back when I started writing about eczema. This will give me the push I needed!

Janelle said...

i also LOVE their body butter!!! :)

RLE said...

The son of friends of ours has eczema and they use this combo on him - they were so impressed about it that I bought it for other friends of ours. We are lucky because Rocky Mountain Soap Company was started in Canmore and there is a store there. I love their castile soap too as I am allergic to lotion soap and theirs is has none of the ingredients that I am allergic too.

Leslee said...

My kids seem to have eczema as well, and my one has psoriasis...I went and bought some today! I hope it works...Sounds like all the girls you know like it. I will try it in the morning on the kids!

Stacey said...

My aunt actually gave me this set to try. It works pretty good on mild eczema, but right now it doesn't quite cut it for my major flare ups. I love how gentle it is though.

You might want to look up baby products (and adult products, for that matter) at the Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database. Johnson's baby wash is actually pretty hazardous stuff!! Huggies too. This website lists all the ingredients, and how hazardous they are. You can find pretty much everything on there. Here's the link:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through another blog I visit. We have a son who is 10 years old and has suffered from eczema since he was 1 1/2. We have tried everything under the sun and many things help, short term but so far nothing has helped long term. I ordered the stuff because I am always willing to make his life easier (less itchy). Keep those fingers crossed.