Friday, May 21

Old-Fashioned Girls

I love old-fashioned little girls. Do you know they type that I mean? I'm talking about the kind of little girls that love pink, dress-up dresses, and painting their fingernails. I'm talking about little girls who like to learn and pretend to cook, play with dolls, be "the mom", and look after the littler kids. I'm talking about little girls who love babies, and want to hold them and play with them. I'm talking about little girls who like cats, and when they talk to you they look you in the eye with a twinkle. I'm talking about little girls who show respect, are soft, kind, and tell funny stories about all the crafts they made over Spring Break. These are the old-fashioned little girls that I love!

I know three of these old-fashioned girls, and yesterday I met three more. Their innocence and adoration for my little Rayya brought tears to my eyes. It's a lost art - raising good girls. And it's hard these days to do it. Society has painted them a picture of something so contrary to the "old-fashioned" little girls of yesterday. They are supposed to be into boys, loud music, and sexy clothes long before their 10th birthday. They hang out at the mall, scoping out members of the opposite sex, buying make-up and talking about dirty things before they even truly know the consequences of getting into any of that kind of thing.

I want to raise Rayya as a good girl. I want her to be all the things I mentioned above - the things that good, old-fashioned girls are. I want her to love being outside. I want her to love her family, and her friends. I want her to love herself. I want her to love Jesus. I pray, pray, pray that in this ugly world, where Satan attacks the innocence of little girls, that I can raise one who will rise above all that - and be proud to be old-fashioned.

3 comments :

Carla said...

I am right there with you my friend! That is the desire of my heart. I want J-G to have the chance to be a girl. I want to raise her to be a real woman and a woman of God.

Roo said...

old fashioned girlies are the best!!

Brandi said...

I am totally on board with this post (except maybe the cat loving part, lol!) But I have to admit I find it way more daunting to think about raising an "old-fashioned", good boy. Women always talk about how few good men there are out there, and I so desire for little Oliver to be one of them!