Thursday, June 5

A Word from God for You

I've been totally into reading lately. Reading sort of comes and goes for me - I'm not always in a reading mood. A book also has to grab my attention within the first few pages too, otherwise I lose interest very quickly and I won't pick it up again.

I have been loving the book "Can You Hear Me?" by Brad Jersak. The changes I have found in my prayer life have been amazing. The things that I used to think were figments of my imagination have now germinated into actual ideas and suggestions from GOD! I never knew that my imagination could be used by God to communicate with me (duh, He created my imagination). It's been really a phenomenal journey, and I highly recommend the book. I was praying today specifically for all my blogger friends. God gave me this verse for you - yes, you - the one who is reading this right now:

So be content with who you are, and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you; he'll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you. 1 Peter 5:6-7 (The Message)
I also just recently finished reading "The Shack", by William P. Young. This book offered me a LOT of food-for-thought! I reread a lot of the book, because I found that the concepts wouldn't sink in upon my initial reading of it. It is a fictional story, but I think it is based on a true incident. If you want a BRAND new idea of God, and what He thinks and feels, this book is for you. I don't agree with all aspects of the book, so I'd be curious to hear from you if you've read it. Or, go out and read it and get back to me about it! It is a book that could be read by anyone, Christian or not.






13 comments :

Anonymous said...

Heather, I don't know if I've ever commented on your blog, but today I felt I must. Your verse was exactly what I needed to hear today. Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks!

Trail Rider said...

I'm reading Brad's book too, he just came and spoke at our church this last weekend and it was awesome! Cool to hear that God is moving in your heart and life!

-Me- said...

I just saw the book The Shack the other day and wondered about what it would be like...I think I'll most definitely pick up a copy now and I'll keep u posted on what I thought :))

Renee Shaw said...

Wow Heather, that is so god to hear from you! God is so good, and yes He does want us to use our imaginations...like you said He created them! :) You're beautiful, and a wonderful woman of God! Keep growing!!
A great book also to read is The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind - Bill Johnson...awesome author, his other books are great too!
Blessings!

patti said...

i just finished the shack. wow! talk about making you think. i think i need to read it again cause as you said, a person can't grasp it all at the first time. i'd love to hear what you think (agree or disagree) about it. email when you have time!!

Janelle said...

i want to read both of those books sooo badly! i have to get them! thanks for the recommendations!! :) :) thanks again for letting me crash at your place - i had such a great time with you & wish we lived closer!! i'm excited to see what God is going to do in our lives in the next year!!! love you!!!

Roo said...

my hubby read the shack and it really impacted his heart.

Ang said...

Thanks, little sis ;)

andrew + camille said...

yep brad was at our church last week and it seriously changed my life!!! i am so excited to listen to God's voice now.

Amber said...

i'm reading (rather slowly i may add!) Can You Hear Me and I am loving it. i love this topic and it's so exciting to be in close communication with God.

i just wish i made more time to read!!

Nin said...

God is so awesome!
I came by here a while ago and read this, but this morning, this word was exactly what God wanted to tell me. Thank you for being open to listen, and obedient to share.
You're great Heather!

Anonymous said...

Hello. I came across your blog a while back and was intrigued by this book you were talking about.
I always look things up and read reviews and so forth and found that there was a bit of controversy regarding this book. I have not read the book myself but just wanted to make you aware.
In the event you or anyone else is interested here is a link that I found useful that talks about the book as compared with God's Word, The Holy Bible. http://www.squidoo.com/ShackHeresy

Anonymous said...

Anonymous: I totally agree with you that not everything in the book is completely accurate - it did leave me with some questions. However, I do think that a lot of it's ideas are good, and provoke some thought. I am definately going to read this article, thanks for sending it. I would love to learn more about what other's thoughts are on it.